Adults Lane Swim

I always go to Swim at Fusion, East Dulwich Leisure Centre, and I like to go there when it's Adults Lane Time, because I go there to exercise and I like to swim fast.

I am writing in here because I want to ask kindly to people who doesn't have some common sense and leave the Fast Lane for the masters, in other words, if you swim like a turtle please go to the slow lane, If you go there with a friend and you guys like to stand at the corner of the pool chating, please go to the pub and leave the fast lane for those who wants to swim fast.

That's it, have a nice Xmas everyone :)

I never understand why the lifeguards never spot these things and ask people to change lanes. It sometimes works the other way too: fast swimmers stay the middle lane and end up having to opvertake. It should be part of the lifeguard's role to do something about this. I'd raise it with them if it is bothering you enough to write about it here (although I know I never have!)

I have some sympathy this with, though I get that 'slow', 'medium' and 'fast' will always be relative terms depending on who's in, and if there are a load of slower people in then in the interests of making the most of the available space you might find yourself sharing a faster lane with someone who's slower than you.

I (faster than a turtle but slower than a barracuda - a porpoise maybe?) have given feedback a number of time to lifeguards on duty, the people on reception and also online, and nothing ever changes, even when I've complained about the way faster people will sometimes swim in slower lanes and try to intimidate you out of the way or 'accidentally' push you. I wish they'd listen as it's very off-putting. I'm not suggesting the OP is one of these but it's a public pool and some people act like they have priority, which is just bad manners.

While we're at it, it would be pleasant if everyone could remember to shower before they get in...

Yes,the behaviour the OP mentions is very annoying and it does surprise me that the lifeguards don't do anything unless you specifically ask them.

However, viewed from a different perspective, it is equally annoying when passive aggressive fast swimmers do their very best to let everybody in the pool know that they are the fastest and strongest swimmers and everybody is in their way and the pool just isn't big enough for them and really what they ought to be doing is crossing the channel which would be a doddle for them, clearly, but since this is not a realistic option (given that in the morning they must don their very tight lycra and cycle to work as if they were doing the last lap round champs elysees), they are resigned to sharing the pool with us substandard slow swimmers so please unless you can do a length in under 1 second can you just stand back and watch how the masters do it.

[goes and shelters underneath a desk]

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely it's not really the lifeguards business to

> police swimming etiquette ? Unless of course the

> behaviour is life threatening ?

It absolutely should be, and is in most pools. Injuries can result.

Once in the Dulwich pool two women suddenly stopped to chat mid-way along the fast lane! This ended up with me to swimming headlong into another startled swimmer who had to suddenly swerve to avoid them. Sore heads all around. I had to ask the lifeguard to shift them. Foolish behavior.

backstrokers crash into other swimmers in crowded lanes. I hate it!

but as a slow swimmer I also hate being in the slow lane and and torpedoed by people who should be in the fast lane but think its too busy.

Worstest of all evil doers are those who do not respect the clockwise law and go up and down, getting in the way, usually doing the backstroke! and this is in JAGS.

I suspect some people will read this and think what on earth are these people on about...but it is really annoying. I only went to the pool at ED once and the chatting breaststrokers drifting up the fast lane and social club congregating at the end of the lane was enough to see me never go back (plus it must have been 30C in there too!).

Brockwell Lido for a serious(ly cold) swim round here.