Accident on Lordship Lane / East Dulwich Grove

Does anyone know if the person involved is ok? It made me feel sad - this close to Xmas and they appeared to have bags of shopping on them.

Seemed to be a lot of people around when we went by and then we saw Police / ambulances arriving.

It's so dangerous that crossing, I really think they should do something about it.

I agree, that crossing point is wholly unsuitable and extraordinarily dangerous. I and many others have tried to get Barber to have the appropriate authorities look at it, unsuccessfully. He has asked for people to suggest solutions and I have offered the occasional response but ultimately the general public are not road layout designers.

James, we need to get someone qualified to look at this and solve the problem before someone else is injured.

I agree 100%. That is a seriously dangerous crossing. I always feel threatened when crossing it

It does make me laugh, that theres another raging debate on EDF (and potentially 200k of taxpayers money) around the East Dulwich Grove/Townley Road junction becuase of a handful of reported near misses. I wonder, if there was the will to do anything, how many near misses on this crossing could be identified

I saw the group of emergency services vehicles yesterday, very sad.

This crossing has always been dangerous, so many cars turning left into it do so without slowing down much, and for some reason, drivers turning right into it often cut across the road early due to impatience at the lights, the speed increasing as the night goes on. Since we moved here in 1980 I've seen so many accidents happen on that crossing, yet nothing has been done to address it.

worldwiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They should make it a 3-way stop, traffic lights

> on 3 sides and three crossing points. It's

> actually quite unusual in London to have such a

> busy junction without lights.

That seems like a good idea to me. It's a very dangerous crossing.

I avoid crossing the road at that junction like the plague and always go (slightly) out of my way to cross at the zebra crossing opposite EDT then use the traffic light crossing opposite The Bishop. I acknowledge this is harder for those with mobility issues though.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> Probably because it's only pedestrians who are

> getting hurt there and not cyclists. And it seems

> that, as far as some people in Southwark Council

> is concerned, cyclists are more important than

> pedestrians - the Townley/EDG saga has

> demonstrated this.

ZT, I wonder if you really meant that? I find it unbelievably stupid and bigoted.

I do hope the person who was injured is OK.

And I too hope that the person who was injured (and who I presume was a pedestrian) is OK. The more concern that Southwark show to pedestrians, the better, and they could show their concern for pedestrians (and indeed other road users) by making the LL/EDG safer junction in the way suggested above.

And no RPC, I am NOT unbelievably stupid and bigoted. I wish that posters who disagree with something that other posters say would refrain from insulting them. If they disagree with them, they should say why and clearly present their arguments for doing so.

Lets hope no serious injuries.

We've done lots on that junction. Added a signalled crossing there across Lordship Lane, had a full entry treatment added. Had East Dulwich Grove and Lordship Lane (Goose Green to Whateley Road) made 20mph. Collectively that is much more than ?200,000.

We take pedestrian safety seriously. Hence why we organised a Living Streets (Pedestrian Association) report to be commissioning about Lordship Lane.

Hi James

I think there is potentially more that could be done -the crossing across LL is great but I think much more could be done on the crossing with EDR. Cars, cyclists, pedestrians all go through that space, sometimes without looking (or having sight of pedestrians blocked by a line of buses at the bus stop) and I've seen a number of near misses myself, particularly at rush hour.

Separately I hope everyone involved in the accident was ok, it's a horrible thing to happen.

Dear All,

The lady involved in the accident was my dear mother. Many thanks for your sincere concern, she's currently preparing for a Xmas at King's College hospital with a badly broken leg and damaged shoulder. We're facing a long recovery of 2 months in a cast with crutches. It was a hit and run which as a family we're struggling to understand how anyone could be so heartless. I would like to take this opportunity to appeal to any witnesses as from what we understand the police investigation hasn't made great progress so far. We appreciate it could have been a lot worse but certainly agree with your views that something needs to be done to address this danger. As you can imagine my mother is very upset about missing out on family fun this year.

Kind regards

James Barber Wrote:

> Lets hope no serious injuries.

>

> We've done lots on that junction. Added a

> signalled crossing there across Lordship Lane, had

> a full entry treatment added. Had East Dulwich

> Grove and Lordship Lane (Goose Green to Whateley

> Road) made 20mph. Collectively that is much more

> than ?200,000.

>

> We take pedestrian safety seriously. Hence why we

> organised a Living Streets (Pedestrian

> Association) report to be commissioning about

> Lordship Lane.

James, you've been told dozens of times before and after these irrelevant changes how dangerous this junction is for those trying to continue a journey up or down the west side of Lordship Lane on foot. You have ignored this time after time. As you were asked on many occasions at the time this junction was being tinkered with, why have you never supported a pedestrian crossing at this junction?

Thank you all so much for your best wishes, it cheered mum up to know kind people were wishing her well. She's still in a lot of pain, a new cast on today and we are getting our heads round how we'll manage back at home for 8 weeks without her putting any weight on her leg - she can do lots of knitting for the grand kids! My parents were looking forward to a 6 week trip of a life time to visit family out in Australia in early March so this is a disappointing set back. I hope the police can track down the driver. Thankfully there were some great people who helped mum after the accident and kept her safe until the emergency services arrived - very grateful to them.

James

This junction has got more dangerous since the installation of the pedestrian crossing across LL not safer.

Cars coming from Goose Green wanting to turn into East Dulwich Grove and those coming down East Dulwich Grove wanting to turn left see the red light as a green light to put their foot down and make their turning before traffic resumes - they speed up to beat the lights and are concentrating on their window of opportunity so hard they miss pedestrians who are already crossing.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Lets hope no serious injuries.

> >

> > We've done lots on that junction. Added a

> > signalled crossing there across Lordship Lane,

> had

> > a full entry treatment added. Had East Dulwich

> > Grove and Lordship Lane (Goose Green to

> Whateley

> > Road) made 20mph. Collectively that is much

> more

> > than ?200,000.

> >

> > We take pedestrian safety seriously. Hence why

> we

> > organised a Living Streets (Pedestrian

> > Association) report to be commissioning about

> > Lordship Lane.

>

> James, you've been told dozens of times before and

> after these irrelevant changes how dangerous this

> junction is for those trying to continue a journey

> up or down the west side of Lordship Lane on foot.

> You have ignored this time after time. As you were

> asked on many occasions at the time this junction

> was being tinkered with, why have you never

> supported a pedestrian crossing at this junction?

Totally agree Brand new guy, the small changes have not made enough of a difference at the above junction it's a lethal

Place to cross the road. I have lost faith in how to get these changes made, we have a real issue on the bit of lordship lane where we live - further up beyond the library with dangerously speeding cars but despite many requests to a whole range of different people we have made no headway even after pedestrians have been hit.