Best place to watch the fireworks on NYE

sonnywebb

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best view of southbank skyline around Dulwich... We have some family over and didn't buy tickets early enough so might go for a walk tomorrow evening and try and get a view point from around here.... Any suggestions?

Dawson Heights gives a good vantage, and in the past the crowd there has been benevolent, but if the going gets 'soft' (as it is forecast tonight, despite this morning's frost) then the slope can become very slippy, particularly close to the access path; it is worthwhile wearning shoes/ boots with some grip (and which you don't mind getting muddy).

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My wife is recovering from a double heart

> Operation ( the first one failed ) in St Thomas'

> Hospital and can see the barge where the fireworks

> will be lighted,after six weeks here this be

> interesting for her.

> But would willingly miss it to get home.

Hope your wife is able to go home soon, computedshorty, and that this time the op was completely successful.

Sorry to deviate from the main subject Fireworks.

I believe that my wife is on the sixth floor of St Thomas? Hospital looking down, I have not been able to get there for a visit due to my own illness, but phone three times a day, she has her Mobile phone, that I have topped up by ?20.00. so that she can take pictures of the fireworks just below the Ward.

Her first operation was on the 23rd December but it did not work properly, she had a second on 24th December the operation to remove the fitted one and fit new parts, but the return to health after all this is very slow.

Yesterday while having an Echogram the Student learning about X-rays said to her, ? how good to see you again I was present at your operation it was very complicated, I recognised you from your name, glad to see you awake again ?

A long time since her Emergency admission on Tuesday 18th November at another Hospital with Pneumonia, then Pleurisy, then 4 Dental Extractions, and facial surgery, that had to be done prior to heart surgery.

I think I might buy her a new Mobile phone as a late Xmas present as she was unable to hang up her stocking Xmas Eve.

Thank you for your good wishes on her recovery.

Shorty.

Ken Livingstone told us to stay away when he was Mayor.

Why not have the display in Hyde Park ? Plenty of space for people to gather and surrounded

by dozens of Bus Routes and Tube Stations.

Too simple. No lets have it in a congested area and collect ?1M in ticket sales and deny 1,000s

of people a chance to see them.

Whilst the rest of the world put on Free displays for all to see.

DulwichFox

Curious to know if anyone on here did get up to the Nunhead reservoir last night.

We tried but were put off by the huge crowds trying to squeeze through the now tiny gap in the fence. Feared a crush when it was all over. Can anyone report back?

Why not have the display in Hyde Park ? Plenty of space for people to gather and surrounded

by dozens of Bus Routes and Tube Stations.

I believe that the logic (if I understood a 'spokesman' correctly) was that the display was optimised around being broadcast on TV (thus the backdrop of the Thames and the iconic buildings around that part of it) - certainly the TV broadcast was seen by many millions (more) than could even get into even Hyde Park - those people crowding in to see the spectacle live and unmediated by technology were not the intended audience, and the numbers had become so large that they posed real dangers to themselves (and I suppose a potential target to those less well disposed to the UK and all it does). So the sealing-off of the area (and the rationing by ticket) was quite intentional in increasing security and crowd safety (note what happened elsewhere, in China, this year) by reducing numbers.

Disappointing my wife did not see the Fireworks from St Thomas? as it was closed to all entry even the next night shift nurses, only one nurse was there in Ward, she tried her best to move the patients to an open widow to at least hear, they did hear the singing, unfortunately my wife was wired to a monitor so could not go to the window.

We have in the past been there waching so she can recall seeing it then, but that was years ago.

That's a shame. It's not the same of course but you can rewatch them here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04wjfwq/new-years-eve-fireworks-2014. It will be up there for a month so hopefully your wife can see them when she gets out. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Disappointing my wife did not see the Fireworks

> from St Thomas? as it was closed to all entry

> even the next night shift nurses, only one nurse

> was there in Ward, she tried her best to move the

> patients to an open widow to at least hear, they

> did hear the singing, unfortunately my wife was

> wired to a monitor so could not go to the window.

> We have in the past been there waching so she can

> recall seeing it then, but that was years ago.