Moxtons fishmongers

george74

Very disappointed with the service/stock offered at our local fishmongers this morning. Having waited patiently outside for circa 20mins, before opening with the other 10-15 people,I was informed that they only had 5 scallops left.... Only two people ahead of me in the queue (who bought 26 between them) so they clearly did not buy enough! For 'New Years Eve' I would have expected more.

Glad we have the reliable Nunhead fishmongers within a stones throw. I know where my business will be going in 2015.

OH MY GOD - I cannot believe how poorly treated you have been. To be informed there were only five scallops left at such a critical need is an absolute disgrace. You are well within your rights to give this so-called 'fishmonger' a miss for the whole of 2015 - and thank you THANK YOU for taking the time to warn the rest of us.

Be strong and you can get through this.

Very poor attitude there. Went in when they first opened. cannot remember when that was.

Asked for Raw King Prawns which they did not sell, but could order me a 'Box' for ?40.00.

On another occasion more recently went in for a Sea Bass Fillet but would only sell me a pair for ?9.50

Went to Sainsbury's and got a pair for ?3.50

Sopers at 141 Evilina Road, Nunhead is far better. Well they have established since 1897.

DulwichFox

Supply really does depend on what was landed (or otherwise sourced) that day, and the demand for it.

As Nigel Slater often says, the fishmonger's is the last place you should go with preconceived ideas of what you want to buy. Instead, go there and see what they have, what's fresh, and what's a good price. Base your recipe / entertaining ideas on that, not on your prior expectations.

You are buying a natural product, the supply of which can vary due to a thousand factors... most of which are beyond Moxon's control. Generally, I find they are a really good fishmongers.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Very poor attitude there. Went in when they first

> opened. cannot remember when that was.

> Asked for Raw King Prawns which they did not

> sell, but could order me a 'Box' for ?40.00.

Great to hear this story for the 8th time! I've missed it!!

And you're right - the fish in sainsburys is always incredible. The ones with the dead, lifeless eyes mouldering under cling film are my faves.

C'mon everyone. Let's stick it to bloody Moxons. Hurrah! Happy New Year!

Exactly, *Bob*, it's like complaining at the lack of decent chickens in the butchers and then saying Sainsburys have loads available for a fiver. The cheaper sources will always undercut and out-supply the more ethical source. I believe you can still get the Japanese dredged scallops in packs in the Co-Op Food, but I personally wouldn't touch them with a geiger counter.

It is worthwile remembering that proper fishmongers (such as both Moxons and Sopers) source their wild fish from (mainly) recently caught produce - at this time of year fishermen fish less (for obvious reasons, given the holidays) and in (often) much worse sea conditions. So the availability of catches is reduced (and more expensive in the markets). Sopers has probably, over time, built long standing relationships with market dealers meaning they are more likely to get access to what fish there is than Moxon's (who I suspect also tend to have less stock at any time).

Sainsbury's (and other supermarkets) rely on farmed and frozen fish, often bulk bought (because they have the scale to do that) - frequently imported from quite far away (their 'sea bass' is actually Chilean Sea Bass, also known as Patagonian toothfish - and not the fish caught around the UK).

Imagine a fishmongers only having 30 fresh scallops in stock? And over the Christmas period! It is DISGUSTING!!

And sometimes they don't have any fresh prawns available! Or they don't want to sell you half a fish! The horror!!!!

I can fully understand why people would choose to boycott such a "business".

[ FWIW we find Sopers very good and a little bit cheaper, but you're never going to get a FRESH whole seabass for ?3.50, or find a fishmonger with an inexhaustible supply of any given fresh shellfish on any given day ]

George, how sad for you, but if having scallops was so important to you that you have to winge and whine because you didn't get them then why oh why didn't you think about it before and pre reserve them with Moxtons?

It's awfully unfair and rotten of you to try and slam a newish business into the ground because someone else beat you to the prize today, after all would you want Moxtons to carry a larger stock and then lose money when they have to throw away unsold fresh fish at close of business today?

Play fair as its posts like this that can ruin a small local business and remove someone's livelyhood as a result. 😥

Poor George - I feel for him, genuinely, not for the lack of scallops but for the abuse he is getting. I can understand if he has a plan for the evening and you can't really get to the shop any earlier than opening time, but hardly Moxon's fault and it seems he managed to get his scallops elsewhere, so no disaster. Hardly worth a new thread post, despite the obvious inconvenience.

1st world problems aired so publicly are always going to get seriously rebuffed.

Moxons is not a small business

They have branches in Clapham South, East Dulwich, Islington and even in South Kensington.

They buy fish daily from Newlyn and Plymouth in Cornwall,

Brixham in Devon,

Peterhead and Loch Duart in Scotland,

Scalloway in the Shetland Islands,

Newhaven in Sussex

and from Billingsgate Market.

So hardly a new business struggling to get on its feet.

DulwichFox

*Bob* Wrote:

> Anyone welcome at our place tonight.

>

> I will shove one scallop or jumbo prawn (please

> provide preference) up your bum on each stroke of

> midnight - followed by Auld Lang Syne.

Got any lobsters?

*Bob* Wrote:

> OH MY GOD - I cannot believe how poorly treated

> you have been. To be informed there were only five

> scallops left at such a critical need is an

> absolute disgrace. You are well within your rights

> to give this so-called 'fishmonger' a miss for the

> whole of 2015 - and thank you THANK YOU for taking

> the time to warn the rest of us.

>

> Be strong and you can get through this.

Just what I was thinking too. Where can I donate to this disaster relief? :)

Mustard Wrote:

> If you really an ingredient for a certain dish

> then agree with calling them beforehand and not

> just turning up in the hope they have it. And,

> their name is Moxon not Moxton.

You obviously have not heard about the recent merger of Moxons and Foxtons.