(General petition against fracking) Earthquakes Dulwich and West Norwood?

ali2007

I just received the below email and knowing the 'people power' of the local residents, thought I'd share:

The government is trying to change the law so big energy companies can drill for gas under our homes - without asking us. [Dulwich and West Norwood is sat on top of a seam of gas - and it?s already been earmarked for drilling. So unless these plans are stopped, gas could be sucked from under your home very soon.

But together, we could do just that. Because to change the law the government needs MPs to vote for it in parliament. And the vote's in just a few weeks. Let's make it clear that backing dirty energy companies over constituents would be a toxic move.

A huge people-powered petition against the plans - which we can hand in to our MPs - will make sure all MPs know the way they should vote. Will you stand up for your home ?

The plans - simple changes to existing trespass law - could mean your home surrounded by noisy machines, and your local park turned into a gas field. All without your permission. The process - known as fracking - could also poison our water and produce toxic waste. And it?s known to cause earthquakes.

All over the country, people and local councils have been refusing planning permission to dirty energy companies for fracking. But this change in the law takes away our power to say no to it happening under our homes.

When we work together, we?re stronger. And we?re not alone. Greenpeace supporters, Friends of the Earth members and thousands of grassroots campaigners are all standing hand-in-hand to stop these plans, for each other's homes. It?s a truly people-powered effort. Will you join us?

Sign the petition here:

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/mps-vote-against-fracking#petition

Have a look at the Friends of the Earth map https://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/issues/uk_fracking_map_41274

A company (Northdown Energy) has already applied for a licence for the areas in question in SE London/Kent and there is plenty of information about this proposal elsewhere....Boris is adamant that London should be fracked if there is found to be shale gas in order to 'keep the lights on'...

anyway - fracking. The geographical and scale benefits in the US was always going to make it a better fit than a small island tho right?

And one of the geo-political impacts the success of fracking has had is the current tumbling oil price - which in turn is going to make it less attractive for companies to invest infrastructure getting at trickier targets

Seeing the success and benefits of the process in America doesn't automatically make ALL opponents in this country militant, radical, luddite or even left-wing.

Either way I expect we will all be talking plenty about energy sources of all kinds for years to come

"The geographical and scale benefits in the US was always going to make it a better fit than a small island tho right?"

UK unit costs are always going to be higher but unit costs overall are expected to fall in any event. Any commercial operator is going to have a pretty good handle on the numbers. And the falling oil price is an indication of, wonder of wonders, real competition in the energy sector, driven to a significant extent by fracking itself, which has led to a pretty fundamental split between OPEC members having to react to falling market prices.

It would be nice to see some respect for actual science - I think there is a consensus that fracking can be done safely, my concern is to ensure that if it is done, it is actually done safely.

Ah, 38 Degrees. The pressure group with such a poor understanding of science, it even fails to understand its own name.

"In nature, avalanches begin when they reach the tipping point angle of 38 Degrees."

Sigh. Even a cursory thought should make you realise that is utter tosh.

All,

I noticed a very large drill on Crystal Palace Road recently. You couldn't miss it if you were walking past unless you were reading or were subject to some other distraction. Can anyone who has also seen it say how a fracking drill in Dulwich would compare to this in terms of size?

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why is this moved to the lounge when it's an East Dulwich issue and would get more viewings on the

> other board ?

I suspect because it is not a specific East Dulwich issue, but more of a general South London issue, as per the title.

I was originally an enthusiast for Avaaz and 38 degrees but now they and their ilk get on my tits. They constantly have to come up with issues to justify their existences and invariably they are button pushers for slacktivism.

I know nothing about fracking except a radio interview I heard where a very bright chap said that done properly it can be pretty clean and won't damage water tables etc.

A little more evidence and a little less hysteria would be nice.

Love to see the responses when the lights go out.

Anyway, I sadly have yet to meet anyone against this who has shown a good understanding of it. Fracking is not a new thing, may come as a surprise to some of the NIMBYS I realise. Was laughable watching the protests at Balcombe where some well-heeled "protesters" drove specially in their 4x4s. Where were the protests in the Weald and the Midlands I wonder, its always the bloody southerners who complain when its in their back yard.

Even the ridiculous scare-mongering title of this thread is laughable.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Love to see the responses when the lights go

> out."

>

> "Even the ridiculous scare-mongering title of this

> thread is laughable."

>

>

> hmmmm

I thought I might begin my post in keeping with the spirit of the thread. Maybe I should have mentioned that the size of the drill is irrelevant as the well is horizontally pumped (amazing technology) with fluids. NASTY DANGEROUS EARTHQUAKE INDUCING FLUIDS. etc.