-------------------------------------------------------

> I was under the impression you had to have your

> wheels on the lines to get a ticket.

>

> ...SO could you park your car with its wheels

> either side of the lines. ???

>

> DulwichFox

I think it's any part of your vehicle between the two end bars - hence you can often appeal if the end bars are missing or incomplete. Stand to be corrected though.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was under the impression you had to have your

> wheels on the lines to get a ticket.

>

> ...SO could you park your car with its wheels

> either side of the lines. ???

I always thought it was based on the wheels, too, but just checking on t'net I see that it is indeed any part of your car overhanging the prohibited area. If it's just a little bit over, you can usually often appeal on the principle of de minimus (the law does not deal in trifling matters), but since you'd be straddling the entire length of this particular line you'd probably fail.

Mind you, you might be able to appeal on the basis that the line is pretty damn de minimus in itself...

To the left of the double yellows is a white bar to prevent parking across a driveway. To the right is nothing. The line painters have presumably been told to mark lines from the junction with Red Post Hill to a point x metres along East Dulwich Grove. They've done this, carefully ending with a bar as they've come to each driveway and restarting on the other side. However, "x metres" is a point about 40 centimetres the other side of a driveway and they've dutifully marked the lines rather than take the pragmatic view that they're a bit bloody pointless! (I would guess that the line markers are not authorized to use common sense.)