Goose Green path management in peak hours

Louisa

I know I've raised this a few times before, and I'm not going to start a big thing about it. But please please please, if you are going to use the path, particularly if you have a number of children and prams etc be aware of people in front/behind you. Also, is anyone else having issues opening the gate opposite St.John's Church? Many thanks.

Louisa.

I agree. This is an outrage.

Not once, BUT TWICE, I have had to stand aside to save my ankles whilst Scootering children are enjoying themselves far too much. It is as if they think they are in a public park!

Now, I love solving a problem such as this for the greater good of the community so I thought long and hard about path management and came up with a break-through concept, which I admit, I believe you might get quite excited about - The OFF-PEAK Path Walker.

You see, I am now an OFF-PEAK Path Walker, and since the day I had my ankle-saving epiphany it's as if Goose Green and the treacherous path in question is now my own private thoroughfare. Walking heaven.

To the community of East Dulwich and The Forum: The Goose Green Path Management in Peak Hours Problem is now SOLVED!

And for those of you who are interested in becoming an Off-Peak Path Walker, the Off-Peak Path Walking club meets at 06:30 every first Monday of the month. New members always welcome.

I thank you all.

H.

You do not address the very pressing issue of the sticky gate at St John's. This is an issue both ON PEAK and OFF PEAK and therefore your solution looks completely half-baked. If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything useful at all - or so my mother used to tell me.

I propose perhaps a traffic light system at the roundabout end and permanent closure of the St John's gate would solve the problem. The path will only be accessible by those capable of leaping over the fence thus reducing the problem caused by inconsiderate parents, the elderly and infirm, and heavy-dog dog walkers.

Could perhaps the council be lobbied for sufficient funds to widen the path, perhaps to three lanes with a hard shoulder?

A crawler lane would be a compromise, or perhaps restricting path usage strictly to people over 1.4m, like the good rides at Thorpe Park.

Tea and burgers? Surely you mean single estate artisan coffee and sourdough foie gras baps.

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree path widening is the answer - maybe a lay-by

> half way up with a little caravan selling tea and

> burgers?

Glad to see people finally taking this issue seriously. Some of the solutions do seem a little extreme, I think just a little thoughtful consideration would be enough. Widening the path would be an option, but this involves removing more green space which I'm sure many would think is unnecessarily at this stage. I've noticed of late a significant number of double prams made worse by a sort of side by side mentality. I've been forced onto the grass more than once.

Louisa.

Louisa, I'm afraid you've just given away that you're one of those speed daemons who insist on tearing along at dangerous speeds. The double pramers are probably just obeying the Southwark wide new limit of 20 strides per minute - which now applies to all pavements controlled by Southwark (95% of those in the borough).

Maxxi I'm afraid widening the path would encourage more people to use it, creating more pollution as they perambulate, exhaling carbon dioxide, directly into the atmosphere - and right next to a school too. I think narrowing is the real answer.

Finally I think it's about time the council offered free seating at strategic points along that path, limited to 1 hour and no return, Mon-Fri 7-6 and Sat 9-6.

These suggestions are ridiculous.

The simple answer is to ban children from using the path. This can be enforced by installing 'path cameras' at both ends and will have the added benefit of raising revenue for Southwark council.

There are plenty of pavements around Goose Green for toddlers and young children to walk on and they can enjoy a closer view of all the cars and buses whizzing by.

You're all crazy.

Obviously a proper risk assessment needs to be carried out before this can go out to stakeholder consultation. Has anyone reported it to the environment team at Southwark? The path should be closed to all users in the meantime.

As a long-term solution I think the green should be taken over to build much-needed new housing - win-win.

Goose Green must NEVER be built on. I will chain myself to the dubious gate if it were even considered. Any councillor reading this thread thinking this better get those thoughts banished pretty damn fast. On a serious note, the congestion is becoming unbearable during the peak hours of 3-6pm. I often get so angry I feel like exploding in that little park. I swear prams were put on this earth to torment me. And you lot wonder why I use my car?

Louisa.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a long-term solution I think the green should

> be taken over to build much-needed new housing -

> win-win.

As long as a replacement route along the same path via a poorly-lit, graffiti-adorned, piss-smelling subway is put into place to provide the area with some much needed 'edge'.

Excellent suggestions all, and tremendous collaborative community spirit.

As the founding and currently only member of the Off-Peak Path Walking Club I wholeheartedly second Maxxi's suggestion of "a poorly-lit, graffiti-adorned, piss-smelling subway...to provide the area with some much needed 'edge'.

For Off-Peak Walking such a subway adds much desired je ne sais quoi.

Baggs - You are quite right. My solution is, in fact, half-baked, as it takes no consideration whatsoever of the troublesome sticky gate, or ON-PEAK Walkers.

Forgive me for coming on The Forum with clearly such a self-centred viewpoint with no consideration for the needs of others. Walking along the path in question in Off-Peak faux-privacy has clearly gone to my head, and I momentarily developed delusions of the whole area being solely dedicated for my enjoyment.

Yours apologetically,

H.

I feel I must stress to all readers that, however angry you may get, on no account would it be advisable to explode in the park. Asides the obvious damage to oneself, this action will almost certainly cause danger to other park users, would damage the path itself and cause the entire park to be closed for some considerable duration while pieces of you are removed from the surrounding trees and landscape.