Confusing Speed Limit Signs

As far as I'm aware the 20 mph speed limit on Lordship Lane applies to the section between the old Police Station and Goose Green roundabout, so why does it say 20mph on the reverse of the entry signs? There's also one on the junction of Mount Adon Park and Lordship Lane, sure there are others too.

Yes I've noticed that driving towards the Horniman it now says 20 on what was the exit sign - so has it been extended?

Also, Sydenham Hill is now a 20 - that is mental. Barely ever see another car on it outside of rush hour times but now always seem to have an irate van driver behind me beeping like mad because I am observing the new speed limit. These random 20mph zones are just too stressful.

Mrs TP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I've noticed that driving towards the Horniman

> it now says 20 on what was the exit sign - so has

> it been extended?

>

> Also, Sydenham Hill is now a 20 - that is mental.

> Barely ever see another car on it outside of rush

> hour times but now always seem to have an irate

> van driver behind me beeping like mad because I am

> observing the new speed limit. These random 20mph

> zones are just too stressful.

Could this have anything to do with all the cycle plans you never get to hear of? Secret committees you don't know about

Mrs TP Wrote:

> Yes I've noticed that driving towards the Horniman

> it now says 20 on what was the exit sign - so has

> it been extended?

>

> Also, Sydenham Hill is now a 20 - that is mental.

> Barely ever see another car on it outside of rush

> hour times but now always seem to have an irate

> van driver behind me beeping like mad because I am

> observing the new speed limit. These random 20mph

> zones are just too stressful.

Just pull in and let them overtake. Agree stressful...but I get the same all the time in 30mph zones -in fact I was overtaken yesterday by a nutcase who must have touched over 40 on the south circular going past the school

I've noticed these new 20 limits lately too and I think they haven't quite got some of the signage right yet.

I drive south over London bridge once a week at a time of night when you can often safely reach the 30 limit on the city side. It's rather a surprise when you reach the middle of the bridge and it suddenly changes to 20!

Lowlander - I do now stick very much to the left hand kerb where you can on Sydenham Hill to allow the new law breakers to over-take. The worst I have had is someone beeping me for doing 20 as I entered the speed trap, with it pointing our way.

Southwark Council is rolling out a 20mph speed speed limit to all the roads it controls - 95%+ of all roads in Southwark. Hence why some signs are still covered up. Without average speed cameras being deployed which they're not it's unlikely to make a large difference. Even active speed signs that tell when you're over the speed limit Southwark Labour banned due to view of them causing street clutter in 2012.

Previously 20mph had been limited to purely residential non main roads with the odd exception such as the shopping area of Lordship Lane and Walworth Road.

These changes are not part of any Cycling Strategy but about general road safety. I agree with the principle but not the overly zealous implimentation. Without enforcement I fear 20mph in residential streets and around schools will become totally ignored.

I've also been tooted and aggressively tailgated on Sydenham Hill for observing 20mph, which makes it not just stressful but dangerous. I have to agree that without consequences this is not going to work. On the other hand would not want speed cameras everywhere.

It's confusing, dangerous and quite frankly ridiculous. Joining Lordship Lane from Mount Adon the sign says 20, yet traffic is whizzing along at 30. Are they all in the wrong? Will they get tickets? Doubt it because there aren't actually any signs to tell them limit is 20 mph. Because it isn't. So, now people will get in the habit of ignoring signs because they can't trust them to display the correct information. Shambolic mess.

James Barber Wrote:

> Without enforcement I fear 20mph

> in residential streets and around schools will

> become totally ignored.

Yep, this ^. I live on Heber Road and the speed that some vehicles come down there shakes the house. I'm not talking 30, more like 50. It's ridiculous. But there is virtually no enforcement of speed limits.... Just the lazy response of more and more speed bumps (which ruin everyone's cars and are ignored by the irresponsible drivers who seem to consider it sport to sail over them as fast as possible).

Completely confusing at the moment. Signs for 20 in some areas, and for one direction but not the other on the same road (forest hil road near the speed cameras being a good example). As far as I am remember, the traffic code says all roads are 30 unless constantly signposted with another limit?

I find 20 a good idea on small residential roads, but ridiculous on main roads. 30 is an appropriate limit, and traffic need to flow!

I think it's a great idea to turn the whole of Southwark into a 20mph zone as hopefully it'll reduce accidents and make it safer for cycling. However, I'm finding it really stressful at the moment because it's not always clear. For example, what is the speed limit on Forest Hill Road outside the boys Harris East Dulwich school? Unless they are enforced with hidden cameras or police doing speed checks you'll always have some nutter diving up your bum trying to overtake in daft places.

Please sort it out Southwark!!!

I don't have a problem with 20. But it's absolutely pointless without enforcement.

Fox - if you're worried about pollution, speed bumps are the real problem as they cause people to constantly break and accelerate which is extremely inefficient.

Why don't we have a lot more traffic cameras - preferably well hidden, a lot more traffic police and better use of technology in stead of putting bumps absolutely everywhere?

The aim should be to slow the traffic down, but to improve flow.

Well there's reams of evidence out there that point towards lower emissions at 20mph, as well as against, so call that a draw.

It's quieter for residents.

And I don't think anyone will disagree that it reduces fatalities, especially amongst children?

So, the problem is acceptance and enforcement (really, if all red routes stay at 30mph, what is the problem? How much time would you really lose?)

(BTW, ideal fuel efficiency and lower emissions is driving at a steady 50mph, good luck with that!

The implementation of this policy is utter chaos, whatever one thinks of its merits. At the end of Medlar Street in Camberwell the left hand sign said 30 and the right hand one 20 yesterday ... this can only suggest that this policy has been rushed through for political reasons with little regard for any common sense.

In the past, 20 limits in obviously residential side-roads and around schools seem to have been at least partially respected as the purpose is obvious.

20 limits on major through roads (eg Dog Kennel Hill, Denmark Hill) are very likely to be widely ignored, and impossible to enforce with current resources ... of course once people are in the habit of ignoring these, there is a serious risk that the small number of necessary 20 limits are ignored as well.

Road conditions in the north and south of the borough are very different, and yet again it seems that a policy that might have some merits in the north of the borough has been foisted on the rest of us.