2 guys angle grinding bike lock on grove vale

I've just driven down Grove Vale and saw two guys dressed in black angle grinding a lock off of a bike that was chained up outside the news agents on Grove Vale, near Elsie Road. Sparks flying.

I didn't really know what to do. I thought maybe phone the police on 101 but didn't have my phone on me.

Also as there is the potential it could have been their bike and they lost the key I didn't know if the police would even respond.

Anyway thought I'd mention it on here. As I say, Hopefully it was their bike and not a theft. If it was a theft and you know who's bike it is please feel free to get in touch.

I've interrupted bike thieves doing exactly this on more than one occasion and the police have appeared in minutes. The guy's you saw are probably the same gang who've been targeting both bicycles and motorbikes for some time in the area. I would urge anyone who sees these guys at it to call 999 immediately.

Yeah I'm gutted I didn't hVe my phone on me. In the shop I saw 2 other guys, same age, dressed the same, talking to the shop keeper, so wondered if they were diverting his attention. Either way, I didn't feel it was safe for me to go in alone. I tried to break up a fight once and got my head kicked like a football. I did see quite a few people driving past and walking, plus I think someone was smoking outside the vale pub. I hoped someone else had a phone... Also I'd just been to a spinning class and could barely walk!!

I will call 101 today. I've got specific times etc so if it was a crime maybe I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It seems there are a lot of bike thieves around..

Two guys broke in our block of flats (and others) at the end of November. Same area: Vale End, Beasant Place, Hsyes Grove. They were kicking doors open and looking for bikes in the common areas. It happened at 2pm! My husband called the police but they didn't get there in time to catch then.

The same thing happened last Thursday and I was home this time. I called the police and so did someone else, so the police caught them and I have been told they are now so ending some days in prison before going to court!

Hopefully we can get a break!