fireworks on peckham rye last night

I could see the fireworks from my bedroom window and it was quite an impressive display.

I think it was a professional multi-shot kit that was being used and I would guess they cost several hundred pounds each. So given that it wasn't an organised display I would guess that someone has acquired/nicked one of these and then let it off late at night on the common for a laugh. Could be wrong of course...

mrure26 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Woke me up too, but I decided that it was so late

> it night it was someone playing silly b.....s.

> Certainly wasn't organised, too late for that.

> Burns Night by the way, is not normally celebrated

> with fireworks, more a wee dram or two.

That's certainly how I celebrate Burns night :)

Fireworks started close to the northwest corner of Peckham Rye Common around 00:55, maybe 100m south of Kumon and 30 metres in from Peckham Rye (West Side). I was just drifting off to sleep at the time and they lasted for less than 3 minutes.

Towards the end the pyrotechnist, a young man, ran north towards the corner of Peckham Rye/East Dulwich Road and a cheer came from a group of probably no more than 8 to 10 people when the display ended.

I doubt very much that this had anything to do with an organised display of Scottish/Australian national pride. Quite possibly the same studenty-but-not-so-studious crowd that dance on the roofs of parked cars while walking between Barry Road and Rye Lane. It happens very late on a weeknight every so often, probably once a month for the last 4-5 months now.