Franco Manca: are they serious??!!

Hi Ed,

New on the Forum although been in ED for 12 years..

Do appreciate the community and the fact that people care about it!

I've seen many places opening up and closing down, mainly because they didn't try hard enough but also because they didn't have a strong enough backbone.

Hence my present rant about the newly opened and long awaited FRANCO MANCA.

After having waiting for so long and been so excited for this iconic place to open I went for a Pizza with my wife the other night.

The fact that I had recently found out that it had been bought by a former Pizza Express executive ( PE which has itself been bought by some Chinese firm...) didn't alter my child like enthusiasm. I knew already that I would find the same interior that all the FM that have opened recently: the tiles, the oven etc...

The pizza had unfortunately nothing to do with its original Brixton ancestor:

Chewy dough, sparse and cheap toppings. Very average table wine served in a cheap glass.

The service was very poor and had all the signs of the "Franchise" negative sides: unresponsive, formatted, borderline arrogant...

In a nutshell : disappointed beyond description

I don't usual judge on one visit, so I gave them a ring again when I had an urge for a pizza a couple days ago. When I asked the lady to remind me of the menu she told me word for word: " go on the website " without any polite word.

My mind and judgement are now set but I sincerely hope ED will not let too many of these places blossom in our beloved area.

Or that FM will up its game, through pressure of the demanding ED community!

LQ

I was there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was fantastic and it was packed to the rafters. Downside was that we couldn't book beforehand so had to wait a while but they did phone us when a table was ready.

"The fact that I had recently found out that it had been bought by a former Pizza Express executive"

I don't think that's accurate - the original owner is still in place but the expansion has been financed at least in part by various investors, including one or more ex-PE folk.

FWIW, I think the pizzas at FM LL are not as good as Brixton of old, but better than Westfield, and still way better than any big chain, and I've found the service to be friendly and efficient.

I've been three times and have had nothing but marvelous service. The staff I have met have all been super friendly and efficient and I think the food is great value. I often go with my son (7) and the staff always make a point of asking him what he wants and not just asking the adult which is always nice. Each to their own I guess.

Laurent Quenelle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The fact that I had recently found out that it had

> been bought by a former Pizza Express executive (

> PE which has itself been bought by some Chinese

> firm...)

Sorry you didn't enjoy your food, but I really don't see how what has happened at Pizza Express - after the guy left - is really relevant.

I really am starting to believe it is an East Dulwich thing.

Its the 'Dick Whittington' syndrome.

Open a business in ED. The streets are Paved with Gold.

Well the Good Old Folk of ED are literally Queueing up to splash the cash..

Standards can be low. Prices can be high.

Customer can be treated with contempt.

... But the higher the price.. the longer the queues..

Not that I'm saying Franco Manca East Dulwich is not good value but its a Fast Food In-Eat-Out gaff.

would not expect any better service than in a Mac Donalds

DulwichFox

Seabag Wrote:

> Ermmmm.. where are we actually talking about here

> Foxy

>

> Queues outside FM & where else exactly?

Moxons... William Rose.... Oddono's ... Dog Father ... Hog Roast ...

Burro e Salvia yet to come..

DulwichFox

Sorry to have started this now.. It's my own personal view that FM pizzas don't leave up to my expectations, by any means. I do know what sourdough is. And I do make the difference between a personable service and cynical one.

The hype is ridiculous in my mind.

And yes I am suspicious of chains in general although there are some exceptions.

I have eaten at Franco Manca several times now, and every time the food and wine have been, in my opinion, great value for money.

"Very average table wine"? I've paid a lot more for a lot worse. I enjoyed the wine. It was different.

The service has always been excellent whenever I've been, even when they've been crowded.

And do you really expect them to go through their whole menu on the phone? Would you do that when phoning other local restaurants? Why didn't you take a menu away with you, as we did, for future reference - or else, as suggested, go on the website?

I think I might have been a bit short if I was working in a busy restaurant and someone phoned and asked me to "remind them of the menu" :))

My only gripe with Franco Manca is that they have never had the pale ale since they opened, and I can't understand why it's on the menu at all.

ETA: Oh, and the dough is supposed to be chewy, as clearly explained on the menu, and I found the toppings absolutely delicious, including the best capers I've ever had. Of course there could be more of them - but you'd have to pay more then, wouldn't you?

DaveR Wrote:

> "Its the 'Dick Whittington' syndrome."

>

> Sorry, I don't get it. Dick Whittington did make

> his fortune. I don't think he opened a pizzeria

> though - I vaguely remember there was a cat

> involved??

Understand your confusion..

Try not to confuse Richard Whittington (c. 1354?1423) a medieval merchant and a politician.

With Dick Whittington and His Cat of English folklore / Pantomime

DulwichFox

'Sorry to have started this now.. It's my own personal view that FM pizzas don't leave up to my expectations'.

You can't really post something on a public forum and not expect people to chip in with their opinion. I agree with Sue. It's nice to go somewhere buzzy with good food and friendly staff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. In that respect I think they've got their business model pretty spot on. I'll probably go there once or twice a month. I might even go now.