Our car has been moved...road resurfacing!?

I know this is going to sound a little far fetched...but we left our car parked on Ferris Road on Sunday evening..I went to get into the car this evening, to see that Ferris Road had, during the day been resurfaced...with no sign of our little car...and only a few others that'd obviously parked after the works were done (and a very small sign stuck to a lamp post giving notice of the works). A few minutes panicking and sighing thinking it'd been towed away, I spotted it further down Oakhurst Grove. All we can think is that it'd been picked up and put in its new space - I say this rather than towed because it was so neatly in between other cars.....All seems in order with it (considering its dark), but I'm finding it hard to believe they wouldn't leave a notice or sign on the windscreen...All a bit strange!

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Our car was moved in the summer while we were away. No notice at all. We saw it from the taxi on the way back from the Airport, otherwise we would have presumed it stolen. Conway moved it for re-surfacing works. There should be a number you can phone.

Our road was re-surfaced a while ago and somebody had parked their car in full view of a 'road is going to be resurfaced sign' and then walked up the road where there were more signs on lamp-posts and trees saying cars would be removed etc. They left it for a few days and on the day of re-surfacing it was the only car left outside my place.

I put a note on it as I didn't want Conway knocking on my door at 7am asking if it was my car but they just turned up with a pick-up truck and literally lifted it and dropped it in the next street with just my note on it.

We had exactly the same issue with Conway last summer - signs put up on East Dulwich Grove but with completely the wrong dates. We came home to find the car missing and they only showed me where it was after I threatened to call the police explaining that I could only assume the car was stolen if it wasn't where it had been left.

We did complain to Southwark Council at the time, and received a patronising response with a number of inaccuracies. As my wife was very heavily pregnant at the time I didn't have time to take it any further.

If they ignore the dates on the order they've been given (which gives them permission to move cars) then they're breaking the law. It can't do any harm to repeatedly point this out ... though what it would take to make Southwark stop using this company I really don't know ...

I live on Ferris Road. The signs first went up about a week or so before the works and gave dates of 19-23rd.

Nothing happened on Monday but there was a skip in the road- don't know if this made any difference to the date but it seemed to disappear for the Wed resurfacing and is now back. They did put notes on the cars and through the door on Sun/ Mon.

What I don't understand is why Ferris Road? It wasn't that bad and is the quietest road that hardly gets any traffic. There are loads of other roads that would benefit from a resurface rather than ours.

I used to live in Blackheath on the road behind the start of the elite marathon runners- that was a nightmare trying to find your car when they moved it.. Usually half way to Charlton with no one to actually give you a clue...

Five years ago, the road I then lived on was resurfaced and cars moved by Conway without any notice at all, or information about where our cars were. The council told me I had to wait 48 hours for a response to find out where my car was. Meanwhile Conway staff had tried to extract cash from some builders I was employing for material they had on the road with a valid permit.

Turned out only a few houses had had letters to warn them of the works. My councillors managed to get information on the whereabouts of my car the same day, and also asked for details on the issue with my builders, and I was assured then that Southwark intended to take all responsibility for notifying residents on works off Conway and bring it in-house. Doesn't sound like that's happened.

Interesting others have had the same - we were lucky then in the sense it was moved to our road and not somewhere we couldn't find it. It does all seems a bit underhand though - We live basically at the end of Ferris Rd on Oakhurst and didn't get a letter through the post or on the car. Have written to Southwark Council but not expecting a response.

What's underhand about them moving your car to resurface? Inefficient and not great that they didn't put a note on your windscreen (which they did to us the night before resurfacing last week) but "underhand"? Just be glad that the work is being done!