Parking outside Sainsburys Local

I don't know whether the parking restrictions outside Sainsbury's Local (up by the Plough) have changed, but they were a bit unclear for a while (there weren't any signs on the posts for ages). Whether they have or not, it now certainly seems that you can't pull up outside, before 7 pm (a rule roundly ignored by almost everyone, from what I can tell). It seems to me that this is the main time people want to pop in (after work) to pick up a few items, that stopping there is happening regardless and that it isn't really causing a problem. Why don't Southwark just remove the restrictions?

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I always assume no parking during the bus lane

> operating hours (i.e. 0700 to 1000 and 1630 to

> 1900)?

>

> Are they ignored then? I've never actually

> noticed tbh..

Yes, you're right you can't stop between 1630 and 1900 - which is generally the time that Sainsbury's is most in demand. I can't see a good reason for the restrictions personally and judging by the number of cars which ignore them, it suggests I'm not alone.

1600-1900 also when the road is most busy. There are often very long queues extending past Crystal Palace Road Junction towards the Barry Road crossroads. The "parking" area is the bus lane and obstructing that means the buses (3 high frequency routes) have to also sit in the traffic. The restrictions do serve a useful purpose. There is recessed parking on the opposite side of the road.

Maybe customers who need to use their cars to shop (because of the quantity of shopping, for example) could use the Sainsburys at Dog Kennel Hill, during peak hours. where there is adequate parking.

I can think of a very good reason for there to be restrictions at the Sainsbury's Local, namely to avoid massive tailbacks all the way to Towny Road at peak times.

I am always surprised that the usually vulture-like wardens seem to avoid ticketing Sainsbury's Local offenders (as they do the delivery vehicles on Rye Lane, but that's another story) and yet slap a ticket on people who are causing nowhere near as much congestion in other SE22 spots.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> It's a very short stretch of road outside the

> Sainsbury's Local, maybe 50 metres. The bus lane

> starts there (just past the junction of Crystal

> Palace Road, so you're talking about maybe two bus

> lengths. The idea that it could cause tail backs

> to Townley Road is far fetched.

I walk past there around 1800 most days (Townley Road to Mount Adon) and there's often traffic from around there right up until the south circular.

It starts to slow around Townley and grinds to a halt around Goodrich.

Edited to add: This traffic isn't caused by the bus lane...the blocking of which just slows down the buses

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> Maybe customers who need to use their cars to shop

> (because of the quantity of shopping, for example)

> could use the Sainsburys at Dog Kennel Hill,

> during peak hours. where there is adequate

> parking.

Absolutely. I can't imagine why so many people drive to a '... Local' or '.... Express'. They're designed ? and located ? as walk-in, walk-out local convenience shops. Some customers might have mobility issues, but for the majority it's sheer bloody laziness, I suspect.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> bawdy-nan Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Maybe customers who need to use their cars to

> shop

> > (because of the quantity of shopping, for

> example)

> > could use the Sainsburys at Dog Kennel Hill,

> > during peak hours. where there is adequate

> > parking.

>

> Absolutely. I can't imagine why so many people

> drive to a '... Local' or '.... Express'. They're

> designed ? and located ? as walk-in, walk-out

> local convenience shops. Some customers might have

> mobility issues, but for the majority it's sheer

> bloody laziness, I suspect.

What? Are you being serious? How ridiculous!! Just because something is labelled as a ?local? or an ?express? does not necessarily mean that a) it is local to people who shop there or b) you cannot do larger shopping trips there. Maybe more limited shopping trips but you could easily get enough groceries to warrant a car drive. Add to that the need to nip to a shop for a last minute ingredient half way through cooking something, inclement weather, kids, living halfway down Crystal Palace road etc then you can see quite a few reasons why people might drive to A Sainsbury?s local.

Once again, it is a clash of attitudes, namely the "oh sod it, the rules don't apply to me and I really must have that pizza/curry leaf/bottle of cava" culture and the "I won't park there because it'll likely cause a lot of people inconvenience, and it's not allowed anyway" way of thinking. You have choices, people!

I'm just saying that if you "need" to be able to park near a shop (and one of the reasons I could think of was that you had too much to carry easily) then there is a Sainsburys nearby which caters very generously for customers in cars and if you're in your car anyway it's not much further to go ...

Sainsburys themselves describe their "convenience" stores as being for those on foot:

"Sainsbury?s Local stores are the smallest in the Sainsbury?s estate; typically around 4,500 sq ft gross (3,000 sq ft sales). They provide local people with quality, fresh, affordable food within walking distance of their homes and for those needing to top up their shopping".

So, not an especially ridiculous assertion.

JimH Wrote:

> BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> What? Are you being serious? How ridiculous!! Just

> because something is labelled as a ?local? or an

> ?express? does not necessarily mean that a) it is

> local to people who shop there or b) you cannot do

> larger shopping trips there. Maybe more limited

> shopping trips but you could easily get enough

> groceries to warrant a car drive. Add to that the

> need to nip to a shop for a last minute ingredient

> half way through cooking something, inclement

> weather, kids, living halfway down Crystal Palace

> road etc then you can see quite a few reasons why

> people might drive to A Sainsbury?s local.

Of course I'm not being ridiculous. A quick check on Google maps suggests that it takes two minutes to drive from halfway down Crystal Palace Rd to the Sainsburys Local and five minutes to drive to Sainsburys, Dog Kennel Hill with a car park. So, for the sake of those few minutes, people want to park outside Sainsburys Local in a bus lane at everyone else's inconvenience? Thanks.

Driving to a local store for a pint of milk eggs and bread is just bone idleness and the reason this country has high obesity/health/recession problems.

I live a 5 minute drive/10 minute walk - and walk every time. by the time you've driven, got through the lights and found a parking space, what have you saved? 10 minutes max.