BT Broadband in ED

Is anyone else suffering from atrocious BT broadband service in ED? Today has been terrible and generally we find that our router is working fine but the internet is slow despite having the Infinity package. My Sonos system has been unusable today and the net dreadfully slow and patchy.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is experiencing BT broadband issues locally.

I've had a few Infinity problems recently, and I've noticed something rather strange that often fixes it.

Namely, using the BT Broadband Speed Checker diagnostic: http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed

Suspiciously, what happens is that it reports speeds far in excess of the chronically slow ones I was experiencing mere minutes before using it. What's better is that those vastly improved speeds often continue after using it. It's as if they're using this internal tool as a prompt to tweak performance at the exchange, or as a way to head off complaints.

Just a theory. But try it, and maybe let us know here if you also, rather suspiciously, notice the same results. Can't do any harm!

p.s. I'm a software engineer, so this isn't a non-techie's fantasy. Just based on empirical evidence.

If you use BT Infinity and have not opted out to share your Wi-Fi your speed could be jepodised.

What is BT Wi-fi with Fon?

We've got an initiative with Fon that aims to give all its members access to wireless broadband wherever they are in the world.

This is possible because all BT Wi-fi members securely share a portion of their wireless bandwidth through a separate channel on their BT Home Hub or wireless router with other members who are in range of their Hub or router. These wireless routers become known as "BT Wi-fi hotspots".

I do not use BT Infinity so I do suffer slow speeds. But still have access to BT Fon when out and about

where there is no other Wi-Fi available.

So that's where your Bandwidth is going...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10992/~/what-is-bt-wi-fi-with-fon%3F

DulwichFox

I am not sure the issues you are talking about are necessarily to do with the BT broadband service per se - I also am having drop-out problems with my main PC (ethernet) - whilst other wireless devices (phones, laptop, another PC, tablet) remain firmly connected. This suggests that my problem is either terminal equipment hardware or software related (probably a software clash somewhere). By the way, if you have a dual band router (the modern BT supplied ones are) it is likely that your printer is only single band, so that may be dropping out as the router cycles to a band the printer can't read. Someone from HP explained it all to me once.