people knocking at doors

People often knock on doors around the Lyndhurst area (near Peckham Rye station ). They come with identity cards and start asking for money for various things. Difficult to know who's genuine and who's not. But calling at 8 pm or 9 pm probably isn't a good idea. Does anyone know about these callers?

I always think how desperate for work they must be to take on such a frankly difficult unrewarding job . And why don't the charities make it easier to give a one off card donation as opposed to it's sign up for monthly contributions ( which of course I understand the preference for ) or nothing .

And yes I know it's possible to sign up for monthly donations and then cancel after one .

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you have, or want to set up, a local

> Neighbourhood Watch, you can get a sticker saying

> you don't give money at the door etc. Maybe that

> would help?

I put a 'no junk mail' sticker on our letterbox. Didn't do any good. The most regular cold callers we have are Spanish speaking JW's asking if anyone here speaks Spanish. I say no. As they've been coming for years I suspect we are on a list someone has.

I do not engage in conversation at the door..

I Donate and raise money for RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind)

I Donate and raise money for RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institute)

I Donate to Diabetes UK.

and give money to the Salvation Army when they are out collecting.

That's about it.

DulwichFox

I must admit I got "bitten" just before Christmas, was in need of pressie idea for better half, charity was always an option, but I got a knock on the door from somebody representing Battersea Cats and Dogs-remember these people DO NOT work for said charity but represent, anyways I knew our cat had a week or so left before she needed to go to sleep so seemed the prime choice.

Great idea, or so I thought. They have obviously sold their mail list as I have never been so inundated with spam calls/texts/emails.

Never again.

And cat went to sleep the Monday before Christmas.

i only open the door when i'm satisfied the caller is someone i want to engage with and feel safe. the door remains closed and locked with me politely asking 'who is it?'. if i'm not interested i say 'we're not taking callers at this time'. it sounds a bit snobby, but too bad. this is standard practice in the states for more sinister reasons. a useful practice to avoid annoying uninvited callers.