bin raiders in Henslowe road.

jane1

No i had words with them and asked them what they were doing raiding my bins, but neither of them said any thing to me, and yes i did follow them down henslowe road, were they got in to a car with a very large zipped up bag, i only wrote this to let people in henslowe road be aware of bin raiders,

Thank you Jane1. I live in that area and very much appreciate the heads up. Whether you approached these women or not is inconsequential, it's the fact that people are rifling through bins that is the important fact here. I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled and pass on the message.

We had this a few weeks ago. Naturally we we both very shaken up.

Thankfully, none of the things we had thrown away (because we didn't want them) were taken - and they are now safely on their way to a landfill site where some other unfortunate down on their luck person can pick over them - where at least we can't see them.

Hubby found contents from our neighbours bin placed on top of ours, who ever did it pulled open a tied black bin liner and took out contents. Also a pile of coat hangers by our side gate. Some contents were quite personal - so hubby showed them to neighbour who was horrified . This happened on Monday in the top part of Barry Road.

Also left on the bin was over a ?1 in coppers - so hubby kept them.

jane1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just come home to find 2 young woman going through

> my bins, as soon as they saw me they dropped every

> thing and walked away,

Sounds like the same 2 women I saw one morning last summer going through bins on Upland Rd. They had trollys with them stuffed full of their 'finds'. They also worked their way down my road as came home one day to find one of my rubbish bags opened & left on top of the wheelie. I'm a bit surprised that they are still around. Thought they'd long gone. Apparently not.

It?s a great place to live and is as safe as any part of London. Because of easy communication on a forum like this there is a heightened awareness of crime. And a lot of wingers on this forum. I have lived here for 22 years and had one break-in and two pathetic attempts. In a city of 8 million that?s not bad. Transport is pretty good too.

On the basis that this isn't just a wind-up - this is a highly populated, inner city borough; any crime is of course unfortunate, particularly if you are a victim, but the incidence of crime here is, if anything, less than many other comparable areas. The 'bin raiding' may be about identity theft, or it may be about people scavenging items that have been thrown away. Considering the bin raiders have been seen with trolleys I would suspect the latter.

Any assault is of course hugely unpleasant, but the groper appears to be a one-off (who has made several assaults) and hasn't actually physically harmed anyone - i.e. caused actual bodily harm (psychological harm is of course less visible, and may take time to develop). It was undoubtedly a sexual assault, the perpetrator has been well described, is likely to be caught and may himself be a damaged individual (to explain, not excuse, his actions). The victims are properly distressed, but there is no pattern of different perpetrators doing this.

This is not an awful place to live, and people here do like to complain.

I've lived in east Dulwich all my life over 40 years, I wouldn't live any way else, the people are lovely, the shops are good,transportation is brilliant, this is the first thing that has ever happened to me or my property.

I was only thinking last evening that people on the Forum are very informative as to local goings-on and people should continue to report unusual behaviour like bin-raiding- after all forewarned is forearmed.. Given that much of the ED population is at work during the day and well-off people are moving in and that attracts miscreants, everyone needs to be security conscious and aware.

Leftfooter... while I don't like people going through our bins, I have to say that it does seem like the "odd one out" on your list of criminal activity.

ED is a good place to live - as is much of Forest Hill, Peckham, Camberwell. But crime does happen... its a big city.

You're right about the transport though. Transport in ED is garbage.

Two ladies with shopping trolleys working both sides of Lordship lane, going through blue and green bins on the pavement and in front gardens

Started to go through paper in our blue bin. I was told to go away when I asked what they were doing and if they had permission to rifle through our bins