Good Rugby Watching Pubs

I expect this thread has probably been done to death in the past, so please bear with me.

Since Hoopers closed I can't seem to find a decent put in the area for The Rugby.

The EDT used to be good when they had the biog screen, but straining your eyes and neck to see the telly on the top corner now is awful. Are there any others? Does the Victoria show the 6 Nations?

Hoopers was the best place to watch sport and I'm still pissed off that its gone. Never overcrowded unlike the EDT and the dreadful Actress. The Castle would be my choice as it has a big screen and a few TVs. The Plough has now started to show sport too with a TV either side of the bar.

Just because you don't like rugby doesn't mean you need to put it down. Much friendlier atmosphere than you'll get at a footie match. Usually get some good banter between opposition fans rather than agro. And loads of folk hate it when the footie World Cup is on. Take your medicine peacefully.

Now for tomorrow's big match, will the French House or any other partisan venue be showing Scotland take on our Gallic friends?

Duncs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just because you don't like rugby doesn't mean you

> need to put it down. Much friendlier atmosphere

> than you'll get at a footie match. Usually get

> some good banter between opposition fans rather

> than agro.

Is that right...

Wales rugby fans leave a trail of drunken carnage on streets of Cardiff after Six Nations triumph.

The city was awash with red as an army of fans cheered on their team to Six Nations victory.

But the hours of celebrations turned into many drunken scenes as the day's excitement turned to tears for some.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wales-rugby-fans-leave-trail-1770920

The article tries to play the incidents down.. but rugby fans are no different to football fans.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Duncs Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Just because you don't like rugby doesn't mean

> you

> > need to put it down. Much friendlier atmosphere

> > than you'll get at a footie match. Usually get

> > some good banter between opposition fans rather

> > than agro.

>

> Is that right...

>

>

> Wales rugby fans leave a trail of drunken carnage

> on streets of Cardiff after Six Nations triumph.

>

> The city was awash with red as an army of fans

> cheered on their team to Six Nations victory.

>

> But the hours of celebrations turned into many

> drunken scenes as the day's excitement turned to

> tears for some.

>

> http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wales-rugby-f

> ans-leave-trail-1770920

>

> The article tries to play the incidents down.. but

> rugby fans are no different to football fans.

>

> DulwichFox

That's just a normal Friday on the streets of Cardiff - Rugby should be Saturday Afternoon - although lots of Welsh journalists annoyed by last nights behavior.

Last time, I saw a girl down a pint and collapse - her friends carried her into the next bar.

Anyway - In Cardiff it's the City Arms or maybe Owain Glyndwr :)

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Hoopers was the best place to watch sport and I'm

> still pissed off that its gone. *Never overcrowded*

> unlike the EDT and the dreadful Actress.

>

Never overcrowded. That was the problem and why it closed.

Oh good to know re Flying Pig. Big screen? Good crowd?

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Flying Pig was excellent last night and

> recommended for further fixtures. Blyth Tavern

> forest hill for the Irish games is good too. In

> fact, I was there today.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Rugby fans are different to some football fans

> Foxy. At football there is always a tribal element

> which can make you uncomfortable. At rugby matches

> that doesn't happen. I've been to both in many

> stadiums and cities.

It was a bad night - but I'd say devastation in Cardiff not violence

Here's the WOS report - notice Isaac Hunt makes a comment :)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-v-england-idiotic-fans-8599135

It's hard to understand how devastating yesterday was if you aren't Welsh.

On Screens in ED - I'd say Flying Pig, Rye and Actress have the biggest - and you need big IMHO

Take care as well with what they are showing...could be one of these * which when you read the small print means, we show the England games. Football may take precedence. Bishop was ok for Scotland game, asked for sound, not subtitles and as always they obliged. Flying pig looked to have it on as I walked past.