Dulwich wood house

A member of staff told me that they'll move the bar upstairs, to where the restaurant is now and move the restaurant downstairs. The 'conservatory' will be turned into a more permanent structure and will be restaurant as well. The entrance to the pub will once again be through the actual front door, like it used to be before the refurbishment. I think it'll be a lot better. At the moment the bar area is very small and not very nice. Putting the bar back upstairs will be so much better.

lulu1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A member of staff told me that they'll move the

> bar upstairs, to where the restaurant is now and

> move the restaurant downstairs. The 'conservatory'

> will be turned into a more permanent structure and

> will be restaurant as well. The entrance to the

> pub will once again be through the actual front

> door, like it used to be before the refurbishment.

> I think it'll be a lot better. At the moment the

> bar area is very small and not very nice. Putting

> the bar back upstairs will be so much better.

That makes sense. Just hope it has more of the pub feel to like it had before they ripped everything out of the original old bar rooms upstairs but I'm not holding my breath. Youngs & Co has gone right down the shitter since they sold out to the Charles Wells Brewery in 2006.

It's not really Youngs & Co anymore though is it...

This from Wiki: -

"Wells & Young's Brewing, with Charles Wells having a 60% stake and Young & Co 40%, went into operation on 2 October 2006. Wells & Young's is now responsible for brewing, distributing and marketing Charles Wells's and Young & Co's brands at the Eagle Brewery in Bedford. In August 2011, Charles Wells purchased Young's stake in Wells and Young's."

Gone tits up since they sold out and moved the Ram Brewery out of Wandsworth. The Brewery Tap has closed as well. And the site is going to be redeveloped into... you guessed it "residential and commercial properties."

Makes make my blood boil, so it does.

I live nearby, it's been shite for years

If they cast it over in concrete and sold cans from a 'eski' it'd be an improvement

I liked the days of the fur coat and not a lot else landlady

Not that I ever actually saw that, just the fact it was rumour made me laugh

But in hindsight, it's always been 'odd'

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are they turning it back into a Pub.

>

> DulwichFox

Good one. More of this from you please.

I've been a few times recently. It has a great location as the pub at the end of a nice woodland walk from East Duwich...shame it's a bit shit. My pal vowed never to return after finding a perfectly crisp maggot in his food (problem solved..they offered him a free dessert).

Quite how you can rip any heritage out of a place so clinically leaving it bereft of any character is a seriously impressive Youngs trait. They just end up looking like a 3 star hotel lobby with some token homely blackboards to give a faux local feel.

I fear it will be washed in pastel.... and "clockhoused".