Dawson Heights residents?

I have just been to view a beautiful flat in the Bredinghurst Estate in Dawson Heights and am keen to move in. The views are to die for and I'm a big fan of the mad architecture itself (acquired taste I think) but I wanted to know if anyone has experience of Dawson Heights life? Are any forum members residents/ex-residents/living nearby?

I have been living down the Goose Green end of East Dulwich for about 4 years now, but don't venture up the other way too often. Would appreciate any stories, opinions, criticisms etc.

Thanks lots.

I fell in love with those blocks the first time I went over Dog Kennel Hill on the top deck of the 176. They are so imposing. I also remember seeing them from the Oxo Tower before moving south of the river. It's a real shame it spoils some people's views because, if I do move in, the view from my balcony and bedroom window will be AMAZING! It beats the view of the roofing yard I have now.

Hi, i have a flat in Ladlands, on the same estate. I bought it about three years ago and have never regretted it. The site is extremely well maintained, it feels safe and I still haven't been able to bring myself to put up curtains because of the views! You get so much space for your money there, lots of sunshine and, because of the layout of the flats, they almost feel like houses. Good luck!

I believe they were designed to resemble a ship on the hill. In some views they do indeed look like some big steamer especially on a clear night. I am not on unprescribed drugs. We often go up there for a walk to see an alternative view from the one we have on the hill on the SE15 side of the Peckham Rye Park. We also go there for 5 November of course and sometimes New Year's. Often seen film crews up there too, shooting establishing shots of London. People bang on about the views from Primrose Hill, but the views from Dawson Heights are much much better of course! If you climb highter and look at the views from say Ringmore Rise, you can see Dawson Heights as part of the view itself!

Thanks for your comments, I shall hopefully be admiring the views from my balcony from next month as I'll be handing over the holding deposit tomorrow. Very excited! Had a little walk round the nature reserve yesterday, still can't believe that will soon be my back garden!

I've always thought the flats look like steps on the outside, the inside continues that theme with the flat being split over 4 levels, has to be seen to be explained, but it's quite unusual.

For those who are interested, I found out the building was designed by a young, female architect, Kate Mackintosh who was 26 or 27 at the time (1968). She is Scottish and apparently from her perspective they represented the Scottish style of castle.

She's now Vice Chair of Scientists of Global Responsibility - so the rumours I heard about it being designed like a hippy commune were probaly true...

http://www.sgr.org.uk/SGRbiogs.html

But the rumours of her throwing herself off the top of it when it didn't turn out as planned are evidently false!

• 9 years later...