Bus diversions

undergran

We drove past minutes after it happened. A young lady cyclist had her foot and ankle caught under the wheels of a lorry turning left from LL to ED Grove. It was horrible, but it looked non-fatal. I don't hold out much hope for her foot though.

It was, however, a different type of accident from the problems with the traffic turning right from LL into ED Grove, which also need looking at.

I hope she's ok sounds dreadful it's such a tricky junction to cross.

Buses are still currently being dinverted down Barry Rd. 185, 179, 40 not stopping at Plough.

You can pick them up on first no.12 stop on Barry Rd. The 185 rejoined the usual route at Goose Green roundabout.

It happened outside our shop and my colleague and I were first on the scene. The police are going to update us, but yes a very serious injury to her foot. Amazingly fast response from the emergency services! That junction reeeeally needs looking at though, we witness far too many near missed there.

But at busy times, it's often only possible to turn left out of EDG when the lights across Lordship Lane are red anyway. Add lights across the end of EDG and a pedestrian phase and you'll solve the safety issue. As far as causing slower traffic, it's probably TFL that need their minds changing, as they seem to be reluctant to make any changes that might slow down traffic on bus routes in particular.

This seems not to be relevant to the shocking accident this morning, but it's a nasty junction altogether, for vehicles and pedestrains ? the sight lines into abd out of Lordship Lane are poor and it's interesting someone mentioned that the road was 'too narrow'. It certainly 'feels' that way.

Lights wouldn't have stopped this accident. You'd still have a cyclist (mostly female for some reason) on the inside of a tipper truck, the most common road death scenario in London at the moment. If anything, a green light would give the driver presumed priority.

London needs fewer sets of lights, and more eye-contact based solutions, like humped zebra crossings.

I didn't say lights would have prevented it. And no, a green light across EDG would not have given the truck priority as it was turning from LL.

But my comment about the width of EDG is relevant ? a large lorry will automatically cut the corner there, with exactly the danger you point out.

We were supposed to get an update in the store from the police, but no such luck. I spoke to the police after she'd gone in the ambulance who were essentially waiting to find out how serious her condition was before they reopened the roads, which they then did shortly afterwards so we can only assume that means she's ok. The lorry didn't cut the corner, we think just a genuine accident, one not seeing the other. But it could have been a lot worse. Second accident we have witnessed in 2 months, something needs to be looked at with regards to lights or a crossing.

Saw 2 near misses within seconds just after 2 today, got 1 number plate and reported it.

A moron driving a silver works van was texting as he cruised through the traffic lights/junction opposite The Bishop, VERY narrowly missing an elderly lady and schoolchild - he didn't even look up from his phone until he was halfway through the bloody junction. Just after he passed, I and 2 other people were crossing the other side of the road going towards Goose Green, when a woman of Chinese appearance drving an orange Juke accelerated towards the junction, with the lights still red, cut acros the road whilst screaming in Cantonese and waving one of her hands around, she almost hit one of us as the man in front of me had a limp. Sadly I didn't get her number, was too busy trying to avoid being run over by the stupid bitch.

Something needs doing about this junction, I hope the lady who was injured recovers soon and her life isn't impacted too badly.

Even the Police are at it. Using the crossing towards the EDT from the other side of LL and a Met Police ANPR Interceptor car (automatic number plate recognition) carried blithely on as I started crossing. He put up a hand in a sort of conciliatory gesture. Got his number plate anyway :-)

I would've thought its up to the woman injured to decide if she wants others knowing her injuries/condition, guessing the police say that to cover bases as if the accident had been fatal they would need more indepth statements/forensics from the scene.

lisaloulou84 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We were supposed to get an update in the store

> from the police, but no such luck. I spoke to the

> police after she'd gone in the ambulance who were

> essentially waiting to find out how serious her

> condition was before they reopened the roads,

> which they then did shortly afterwards so we can

> only assume that means she's ok. The lorry didn't

> cut the corner, we think just a genuine accident,

> one not seeing the other. But it could have been a

> lot worse. Second accident we have witnessed in 2

> months, something needs to be looked at with

> regards to lights or a crossing.

I purposely walk on the other side of the street with our daughters because this junction has given me so much stress trying to cross it in the past. Something really needs to be done. I've seen many near misses. A few months ago we saw a cyclist hit by a car and today my husband texted me when he witnessed today's horrible incident. I hope the woman is okay.

There was a consultation on the Jct of Lordship Lane and ED Grove a couple of years ago to install traffic lights. However I recall that TFl would not fund the lights, and the Jct was too narrow for lights??? What will it take for TFL and Southwark Council to do something, re this very dangerous Jct. James if you are reading this, something needs to be done now. I recall we were told, too install traffic lights at the jct, it would of cost TFl ?60000. A drop in the ocean in comparison to the amount of accidents and near misses.

Hopefully the cyclist is ok, sending lots of love and healing energy to her.