fluoride in tap water?

Hi, I know this is abit random but was wondering if anyone knows if south east London has high levels of fluoride in its tap water.

I've tried researching online but can't find anything much. I'm not sure where I could find out about this either I suppose the council would know but I doubtthere would be helpful

cheesecakeee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks, is that good or bad?!

Thames Water doesn't add fluoride to any of their/our water supplies.

Fluoride occurs naturally in soils and rocks and can therefore be found in raw water.

The NATURAL FLUORIDE CONTENT of our water, those serviced by Thames Water, is 0.1ppm so in theory as they don't add fluoride and it is just the naturally present minute amount then I am assuming it is excellent.

Why the sudden concern in regards to fluoride? What do you brush your teeth with?

For example a quick look at the FAQ on Colgate website shows that there is 1100ppm Sodium Fluoride in it's toothpaste.

Did you happen to read the Telegraph's article a couple of days ago in regards to Fluoride in drinking water may trigger depression and weight gain?

For added peach of mind, the water supplied by Thames Water also contains virtually no lead :)

So having only 0.1ppm which only happens to be there because it occurs naturally *read the Thames Water website* then NO THAT AMOUNT OF FLUORIDE ISN'T BAD!

Tap water in Britain is of the highest standard and tastes at the very least palatable, and usually much more than that. It's not free - we all pay for it in water rates/charges - but it sure beats buying expensive, bottled water that's transported by road and rail and which is usually bottled in plastic.

I used to wonder what the freight train that goes up the Thameslink line every morning carried - nuclear fuel, chemicals.

I got close enough the other day to see the labels on the carriages - and it was full of Bottled Water(or thats what the labels said).

In Australia, they add fluoride to tap water and have done for many decades. AFAIK, levels of "depression, weight gain, hair loss, dry skin" are not higher in Oz than the UK. I seemed to have survived the experience, and have all my own teeth as well.

The anti-fluoridation bunch are just another set of tinfoil-hat health nutters.

Parts of the UK have a fluoridated water supply, like Birmingham which has had its supply fluoridated since the 1960's. It's at a level of 1ppm. Anti-fluoridation doesn't make any sense to me - there are some natural water supplies in the world with fluoride levels too high that they have to be lowered or an alternative source has to be found.

"Have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol? Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation of water? Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face??

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Jack D. Ripper.

Yet again, people that believe what's featured in the News without in-depth research or only pick out what they want people to read as scare tactic. Fluoride is not harmful in small does. It is good for children's teeth, and the australians have excellent teeth because of fluoride in the water. the rate of children's decay is lower in areas with fluoride. Otta is it the flavour that your little one doesn't like? if not there is now a toothpaste with no flavours added but does have fluoride.

• 3 years later...