Moving to 'The Gardens' - what's it like?

Hi there

I'm moving to a nice little studio flat in the The Gardens in a couple of weeks.

Anyone here who lives or has lived in The Gardens who can tell em what it's like?

I moved to Upper Sydenham a few months ago but it's really not for me so I'm looking forward to rejoining civilisation! :)-D

Where would nearest shops be to the The Gardens - I'm guessing that parade of shops on East Dulwich Road just past Goose Green?

Thanks for the heads up. I actually viewed a flat above one of the shops on that parade on Forest Hill Road (by Colyton Road) last week.

Not sure if that would be the nearest but either way there seems to be good selection of shops within walking distance.

Not sure what would be the nearest pub. Haven't been out much in East Dulwich before. I was at the Gowlett the other week and thought it was really nice. Chilled out atmosphere, nice mix of people and within stumbling distance of the Gardens. What's the Clockhouse like?

Yeah, they come up all the time, the lettings agent said as much. Loads of the houses have been converted into small flats and studios and apparently many of them are owned by the same company.

?700 pcm, it's a big studio though, has it's own front door, is completely newly refurbished and is behind security gates which is a massive bonus as I own a Vepsa that seems to attract thieves like flies on sh*t :)).

I am in Tyrell which is right near 'the gardens', your local pub is the clockhouse which is a bit of an old mans pub if you ask me but they seem to do a great little bbq and have a nice outside area.. The local chinese and Indian takeaways right opposite the clockhouse are the nuts! Great tasting food..

The Clockhouse? An Old man's pub? I have never seen it like that. Seems to be full of younger people of both genders when I go and that's regularly over many years.

It's beautiful, overlooking the park, and Laurence the landlord is very friendly as are most of the staff and the music is diverse, I believe the word eclectic is appropriate.

Unlike some pubs mentioned on here it is not full of kids and buggies.

I don't work there honest!

The Rye Hotel a nice stroll across the park is also worth checking out.

It's the best area in East Dulwich in my opinion (and I've lived in a few around SE22). I live just off The Gardens and it's a fantastic place. Really quiet and only a few minutes' walk to Lordship Lane and a stone's throw from the common and park.

ED and Peckham Rye stations are equidistant, which is really useful, since the latter has connections to Blackfriars and Victoria, as well as London Bridge.

Clockhouse is fab. The Sunday Roast is excellent too. It was refurbished not that long ago and has a lot going on there.

Loved living there; very green and quiet, and the proximity to Peckham Rye parkland is great. Close to the number 12 bus, and easy to get to Peckham Rye station from here. We considered the Clockhouse our local, and there was a creat mini supermarket on Barry Road that we missed when we left. If you're renting from the landlord who owns lots of properties around there, beware; they stung us for carpet cleaning costs; despite the fact that they weren't clean when we moved in. If I had my time again I'd take photographs of the condition of the flat when moving in.

A lovely part of East Dulwich. Enjoy.

telegramsam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Dazed

>

> As someone moving back soon, may I ask what you

> didn't like about Upper Sydenham or why is wasn't

> for you? Be interested to know!

>

> Telegramsam

I've had loads of problems with the property. Also the house is split into six flats and my bedroom is right next to the front door of the building so there's always people coming in and out - not good when you want a lie in on a Saturday morning!

As for the area itself. It just feels a little too quiet and out of the way for my liking. Getting anywhere, even down to the local shop seems like a complete mission. It's very family orientated, not much going on in the way of nightlife or anything really. It's all a bit 'Terry and June', my street in particular has a very suburban feel to it. Having said that it's not as if the crime rate is any better. A neighbour got mugged and hit over the head with a hammer a few days after I moved in and my scooter has been done over a couple of times. Sydenham Hill estate is just around the corner and while I wouldn't want to stereotype it does have it's fair share of nerdowells. But I suppose every area has it's less salubrious parts. Sydenham high street is full of chavs and it's got a real down market feel to it although it is changing albeit very slowly. The commute to work is a drag, even on the scooter that extra 10 mins really starts to tell after a while. Commuting by train is a nightmare from Sydenham because the trains only go to London Bridge so you've usually got at least two tube changes before you get to your destination. And on the way home you've got a mahoosive hill to walk up (I'm nothing if not lazy :)) ) Sydenham Hill station is much better as trains go to Victoria from there, unfortunately for me the location of my flat makes it unpractical to get to Sydenham Hill station. The East London line is coming soon which is great if you work in the city but it's of little use if you work in central London as I do and even then it's just a glorified overground line.

ED is just down the road if you want nightlife, cafe's and bars etc. But I came to the conclusion that if you want all that ED has to offer then better to live in ED than be constantly looking over the horizon at where you'd really like to live. Depends what you want I suppose. For families I think Upper Sydenham has a lot to offer and in time it will become more desirable (if that's the right word) and of course you will get more bang for your buck in Upper Sydenham in terms of living space.

We are round the corner from the Gardens - its a lovely part of ED.

The cafe in Peckham Rye park is great as is the coffee house on Forest Hill Road and the Herne Tavern and of course the best burgers in London at The Rye just across the park!

I am in The Gardens in an artistic garrett, ok, attic conversion. Lived there for two years now while I try to give up my shoe habit and save to buy somewhere. I love it - it's quiet but friendly - always had nice neighbours.

If you're renting from Tilt Estates (or might be Grainger now) you'll get access to the central garden, which is lovely. for more space, Peckham Rye is just over the road. I get all my emergency shopping needs from the shop next door to Locale on East Dulwich Road, or at a push, if they don't have it (whisper it) Tesco. Otherwise a lovely trip down Northcross Road / Lordship Lane will pretty much do you.

And the Clockhouse is great for sitting in the front garden watching the world go by. For food, atmosphere etc, think the Gowlett is better, or as others have said, Lordship Lane's just a hop, skip and a jump away.

Come on in, the water's lovely...

TJ Wrote:

> The Herne is your local - just go after 5pm when

> the kids all go to bed....

Yeah I had noticed that ED seems to have something of a 'nappy valley' thing going on. Kids everywhere, mostly with really stupid pretentious names. Never mind though, gotta take the rough with the smooth and all that...

seanmlow Wrote:

> The Gardens are lovely - I have been waiting for a

> place to come up for ren there for ages!

Looks like there are some available at the moment.

These have all come on within the last week -

Studios

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=2076689&agentid=00713

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=2092419&agentid=18848

1 beds

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=2092426&agentid=18848

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=2094274&agentid=01880

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=2099860&agentid=00713

I don't know if you've used findaproperty before but I've found it to be really useful. You can set email alerts that email you when new stuff comes on the market.

• 3 weeks later...
D&C - if you don't like the 'nappy valley thing' wtf are you moving to an city suburb with loads of family housing stock? i'd suggest that you go somewhere a bit 'cooler' and inner city for an unpretentious dude like yourself

Sorry about the too many kids with mostly with stupid pretentious names, D&C. Will try not to run over your foot with my buggy when I pass through The Gardens next. On my way to the park. You know, with the duck pond. And the swings.

Oop, cross-posted with ????. Shucks, looks like we may be forced to agree to agree this time.