Potential burglar in our garden

James

We live in Peckham Rye (Maxted Road area) and yesterday caught a young bloke climbing over the wall into our garden.

He claimed he was looking for a ball but does not live in any adjoining house, there was no ball and had his hood up... quite obviously up to no good.

We reported him to the police. Please keep an eye out and do the same if you see him. And obviously keep all doors and windows secured.

He was about 5'6", dressed in baggy sports clothes, a red or grey hoodie and white European in appearance.

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We live in Peckham Rye (Maxted Road area) and

> yesterday caught a young bloke climbing over the

> wall into our garden.

>

> He claimed he was looking for a ball but does not

> live in any adjoining house, there was no ball and

> had his hood up... quite obviously up to no good.

>

> We reported him to the police. Please keep an eye

> out and do the same if you see him. And obviously

> keep all doors and windows secured.

>

> He was about 5'6", dressed in baggy sports

> clothes, a red or grey hoodie and white European

> in appearance.

Looking for a ball - 5'6" is quite tall for a ten year old.

Leftfooter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Everyday there's seems to be a

> post on here about crime in the neighbourhood.

That's because nobody posts when they haven't been the victim of a crime or potential crime, only when they have :)

Crime is happening all over London, not just in East Dulwich, but most places don't have forums where its profile is raised.

We also had an attempted break in on Friday 13th March at approx 10.20 pm, Forest Hill Rd. Woke up to the sound of banging, turned on lights must have disturbed them. Following morning went outside to find out they had prized downstairs window open.

I don't want to scare people unduly and agree we need to keep things in proportion.

My perception is that East D/Peckham's growing affluence is sticking out more and more. Walking along Lordship Lane the other day it felt like Northcote Road. Plus all these silly property features in the press are drawing attention to the area. Worth remembering that we're not all millionaire Clapham refugees but this is how some may see us.

We are fortunate to live in a prosperous place. I don't want to get into a debate about the pros and cons of gentrification as this forum already has more than the complete works of Shakespeare on that subject. Suffice to say we just need to be vigilant and neighbourly. Please report anything dodgy and tell your neighbours.

Thanks for posting this. He sounds exactly like the chap I found in my garden, looking over my neighbour's fence 2 years ago.

Same story about the ball (said it was his daughter's). The police were very helpful at the time and appeared to recognise him from the behaviour/description. I seem to remember hearing that he had been apprehended but could easily be back in the area.

I'll be keeping my eyes open.