Guy asking for money, then getting aggressive, near Sainsbury's on Lordship Lane

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone has encountered this guy recently? He came up to me last night, around 7pm, asking for money. He was polite at the beginning, but told a well rehearsed and emotionless story of how he was staying at Lordship Lane Baptist Church, and needed money for him and his girlfriend to find permanent accommodation. I told him I didn't have any cash on me, but he said he could wait until I went to the cash-point to get some. When I said this wouldn't be happening, he then got aggressive, kicking and punching a recycling bin. I left and walked away.

The guy in question is white, nearly 6ft tall, wearing light stone-wash jeans, white Reebok trainers and a fleece. He had light brown/blonde cropped hair and stubble.

Strangely, I saw a similar encounter on Saturday between the same guy and another chap like myself; hence why I remembered what he was wearing and what he looked like when encountering him myself. I saw that guy giving him some money, but again he got aggressive, presumably because it wasn't enough, shouting at the guy as he walked off down Lordship Lane.

I'm going to log it with the Police as Anti-Social behaviour. If an older person comes across this guy, they may feel more vulnerable than myself or others I've seen him asking money to.

Thanks,

I saw him (or someone like him - same type of line) in Rye Lane (not with the usual lot though - they know me now).

he was shouting at someone and following them - I shouted at him before he could start on me.

Thats how it's become now.

I've logged loads of this now with 101 - they go for a while then come back.

(although they do leave me alone and bother others now)

There's a guy outside East Dulwich station everyday at about 6pm. He sits outside the bike lockers. He starts off with a polite request but if you don't give anything he becomes abusive. Not sure if it's the same guy

After hearing the vitriol that the other guy received after giving him some loose change, meant I got away pretty well with him just being aggressive. Yet he was standing outside Sainsbury's when I came out (presumably peddling his embattled story to others), and you never know what could happen as you're walking back down the street.

Lets hope he doesn't stick around.

Cheers

It was a little strange. I assumed because it wasn't enough, but who knows. The guy giving him some loose change did look a little perplexed by the whole thing. Especially after being chased down the street, and then the guy walking off in a puff after he gave him some cash. Hence why I remembered this guy quite well, after observing it on Saturday.

There are some strange folk about. My wife had someone at the door last week doing the selling stuff from suitcase - saying part of prison probation scheme etc. Wife is disabled and had been resting - only opened door as thought parcel expecting. Explained she couldn't stand at door and he went off on one being very aggressive and abusive. Parting comment was to hope she had a f.....g crashed the car when next in it. Not the greatest sales pitch I have ever heard.

I was approached by the same guy last night around the same time and had a similar experience. He also, as mentioned before, said he'd happily wait for me to get some cash out after I told him I didn't have any. His original spiel was very polite but he also added that he was sleeping rough with a partner who was seven and a half months pregnant. Whilst my knowledge of the homeless process is sketchy at best, this last point rang alarm bells given councils provide emergency housing for people in serious need (how well this is advertised is a different debate). Anyway, didn't give him any money and he walked off cursing and swinging at random inanimate objects. Would be interested to hear what responses you get, VintageSlumber.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surprised to read that he seemed to be shouting

> abuse at someone who'd actually given him

> something.

That seems to be the way it's done now - the moral is don't be nice because they just push harder.

They also seem to communicate between each other as to who/where the easy targets are which makes

me think there's organisation.

The genuine and nice approach is to buy a sandwich or call the bluff on a railway ticket.

Same person approached me outside the Post Office on Lordship lane when I was waitnig for the bus. He launched into an obviously rehearsed spiel about needing money for an emergency flat that SE22 People charity had organised for him and his pregnant wife. He spoke at a very rapid pace, got the impression he was using amphetamines or something. I politely told him that I was unemployed and barely getting by myself while doing my best to get back into work, but he stamped on the pavement, hit the bus shelter and said something along the lines of "there's no effing poor people in this area you lying c*nt" then walked off.

He seemed like a rather disturbed individual with a violent temperament. I'm pretty sure there is one or two crack houses off Lorship Lane, as there are often obvious drug addicts coming down from the ex-Police station area and catching the bus or walking away from Goose Green for the past few years.

The gentrification of ED sure has brought about a range of beggars/undesirables into the area, sadly.

I've been hassled by a few dodgy guys asking for money over the years, I don't think this is the new phenomenon that some people think. In particular, there was one guy hanging around about 10 years ago with a line of staples in his neck, begging very persisently/aggressively.

There used to be a guy who walked around Camden with a huge gash in his arm. He'd basically rely on your shock - first time I saw it I have him a ?5er for a cab to hospital. Next time, when he had the same gash 2 weeks later and was hassling someone else, I demanded my ?5er back !

The wound was gross, like something off a battlefield.

It sounds like he (or annoyingly they) are targeting this area, as I've never come across him until last Saturday, and now yesterday. I presume he was around at 7pm'ish, as he knew there would be lots more people about, whilst people return home from work.

I've just logged it with the Met Police via 101, who mentioned if he's seen again, to call 101 and there'll send a patrol car out.

Cheers

Not much to add except I also encountered the same guy across the road from the cinema last night, who gave exactly the same spiel, asking for ?8. I gave him a quid and he immediately walked off without saying a word - sounds like I got off lightly!

If you give beggars money it goes straight to drug dealers on most cases. Anyone pregnant and homeless would automatically be in priority need with the housing department so that's a bs story for a start. Even if they had no recourse to assistance, then social services would pick them up.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There used to be a guy who walked around Camden

> with a huge gash in his arm. He'd basically rely

> on your shock - first time I saw it I have him a

> ?5er for a cab to hospital. Next time, when he

> had the same gash 2 weeks later and was hassling

> someone else, I demanded my ?5er back !

> The wound was gross, like something off a

> battlefield.

Sure it wasn't his leg? If so, he's still around. Saw him this lunchtime actually!

Same guy, same sum, same spiel last night in Grove Hill Road SE5. He followed and pressed a housemate down the road to the front door. Fairly late, around 10.30pm so no one about in cul-de-sac land. Same frantic pace and switched on the tears expertly as well. At this stage it felt risky as the church name didn't stack up but the front door was open, so gave him money basically to be rid of him on the odd chance it might be genuine, esp as eviction is a regular reality these days. Also had a recent experience of giving money to someone who actually returned it. Clearly he is not one of that ilk. But be warned that he is getting about and moving into residential. Wish I'd seen this post earlier. We'll get this reported in.