New property development in upland road

Flashpot,

The billboards surrounding the development state that these are to be "upmarket" flats. While it could be the case that the developers mean only to point out that these are to literally be located up the hill from North Cross Road market, it is more likely they wish to signal that a powerful price will be demanded in keeping with their upmarket nature.

Flashpotata Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I registered with the developers but have not

> received a response yet...

>

It will take some time, I think.

The chances are they won't have fixed any prices yet. What I guess they're doing is seeing how many people register, which might be a lot, even if they've already sold some off-plan. Then they'll suggest a price for one or two of the properties, see how many respond, rack the price up, and round and round till there's only as many bidders as properties.

That's how the first price gets set, after which the next one gets 'released' with that price as a floor, and another round of 'bidding' goes on. By trickling them on to the market, they keep a pleasant upward pressure on the prices, which is why they'll probably never issue an 'asking price'. They may issue a tempting 'guide price' to encourage interest, but that won't mean very much. It won't even mean much when they ask for proof you've the money, or a mortgaqe offer. That's just to check you're genuine and they're not wasting their time (your time, on the other hand, is a different matter).

There is also the risk that the whole process is just a price-setting exercise, and there's a string of corporate buyers lined up who've agreed to pay x% above what the 'market price' turns out to be. But you don't know that, and they don't have to tell you. The only way you'll ever know is if the properties turn up on the open market a few months later.

It's a bit of a cynical process, and can be very drawn out. It's not unknown for properties to stand empty (and deliberately not quite finished) for months or years. As appreciating assets, they have good investment value, and with interest rates what they are, more worth sitting on than selling.

Not all such sales are so complicated, but I notice that you're not dealing with developers. I'd guess they've done their bit and gone. Now you're dealing with a 'selling agent', in the shape of BNP Paribas, who isn't your average local estate agent, and an 'asset management' company. If you thought new-builds would be simple, you're in for a surprise.

Incidentally, Dulwich Holdings Ltd, which claims copyright for the website, doesn't seem to exist at Companies House. There is one registered in nearby Jersey, though, where it seems to share an office (or at least a brass plate) with one or more of BNP Paribas' numerous offshoots, and a ton of other outfits. It's difficult to find out much more about them, except they have been a client for Four Communications, a pricey-looking PR outfit that has offices in 'the UK and the Gulf', has won an 'Agency of the Year in the Middle East' award and describes themselves as EPIC, with 'core values' and everything.

None of which means anything much, and I wouldn't dream suggesting there was anything shadowy afoot. But if were thinking, as was probably intended, that Dulwich Holdings was a reliable local developer rather than a bit of an offshore bank, you might have another surprise in store.

No longer the ?poorer relation? to Dulwich, East Dulwich retains a strong sense of community with a thriving high street filled with independent shops, boutiques, cafes restaurants and societies as well as a number of ?outstanding? primary, secondary and independent schools.

A trendier, more discerning version of Clapham ? and one that has stood firm against the march of the mega-brands ? East Dulwich offers those who call it home a village ambience and a devoutly proud and local landscape.

:)

Those hoardings make me feel violent every time I pass them. Have you seen them?

Every time I pass them I'm more and more convinced that the hoardings and the words and images used represent everything wrong with ED, London, the South of England and indeed the known universe. Here's why:

1. They use the word upscale. Here meaning 'better than yours'

2. They put the cedilla on the word FACADE. Here meaning 'really really fancy front'

3. There is a picture of a deck chair in the aspirational imagery. For that is the one thing that will fit into the tiny square of space between the 4 upscale apartments and the 5 stylish new-build townhouses

4. Things in the local area they mention on the hoarding #1: Dulwich College - because where else would you send your upscale stylish new-build child? it's only 2 MILES away after all.

5. Things in the local area they mention on the hoarding #2: Dulwich Picture Gallery - It's so local!

Things they don't mention in images or words on the hoarding but really say East Dulwich to me:

Goose Green playground

Peckham Rye

Foxes

Iceland, Lidl or Co-op

Pushchair rage in Cafe Nero

I have to admit. When I saw this hoarding at the weekend I wanted to set fire to it. With napalm.

The word "Upscale" says it all.

But that is the new level of property development happening round here now. Like Mightyroar pretty much everything about this type of marketing depresses me....something to do with "core values" as it happens....

You just know that the people behind this know nothing of the area, just that it's "on the turn" and a "value play". They live in Kensington, wear penny loafers and split the rest of their time between Paris and Monaco.

Their wives have a private yoga instructor and a house keeper to iron the salmon cords. Whilst their husbands boff ropey Thai hookers at the Mandarin Oriental.

Worse than all of this they actually read the "How to Spend it" supplement in the FT Weekend.

Sorry...I was just being grumpy. It's a great location and I'm sure they'll be half decent. That said I'd aim for a decent victorian garden flat and spend the premium these guys will charge you on extending it yourself, rather that pay over the odds...but thats just me.

To be honest I don't see what couldn't have been achieved by rusted corrugated iron, razor wire and a giant spray painted cock and balls / overpainted the next morning / giant spurting cock and balls / overpainted a week later / giant spurting cock and balls with 'wobbling testicles' / ah what's the point

Upselling tactics has been going on for thousands of years since the invention of commerce. If you guys can get so angry over a marketing board, I wonder how you can survive a day in London with all the advertising boards on every corner.

I am no fans of developers but I am happy to see construction workers having a job.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Just remember this development is across the road from a pub and may not be the most ideal location for those with young children or who work shifts.

Flashpotata Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks all. I was just looking for a place for my

> family to live in. I didn't realise it came with

> quite so much baggage!

Those townhouses are horribly bland and generic. Five townhouses!

Presumably not much outside space.

And, yeah, what MrBen said.

OP, if you're not already resident locally and have small children, you do know the schools are somewhat oversubscribed?