Pedestrian Crossing Lordship Lane / Wood Vale closed

The pedestrian crossing over the South Circular at Lordship Lane / Wood Vale has been closed off and all the traffic lights etc covered over. This means crossing the South Circular is even more of a nightmare than usual. I am particularly concerned for the many blind people that use this crossing to get to the bus stops. Does anybody know why the crossing has been closed and for how long?

I live nearby and we've not had any communication from TFL on what is happening with the crossing or how long it will be out of use which we did get on works nearby recently. I hope the staff and residents at Bradbury Oak House on Underhill Road have because as you say the residents there rely on this crossing to get about.

It is bizarre that TFL can go to so much effort covering up the traffic lights, shrouding the push buttons and putting up traffic light not operating signs in both directions without putting up a notice to say why they are doing this and for how long the crossing will be out of operation. At the moment it is a recipe for tragedy. Local councillors can you help?

hertburs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is bizarre that TFL can go to so much effort

> covering up the traffic lights

It's not bizarre. If it affected motor traffic, TfL would have to list it on http://public.londonworks.gov.uk, publicise the closure and provide signage, alternative signals and/or diversions, as appropriate.

But as this only affects pedestrians they don't have to give a monkey's, and so they don't.

This isn't really their fault. They don't mnake the rules and regulations. They're put in place by MPs and assembly members who, with a few futile exceptions, view pedestrians with a combination of disgust and horror. Walking about is all very well as a hobby, but it doesn't put money in anybody's pockets and that, I'm afraid, is what counts.

I just had to witness the death of this poor pedestriasn soooo sad I missed a 176 bus so got the 185 ...and this man ran out of the station to catch the bus I missed infront of my bus and a car hit him and he rolled in front of the bus and the bus went over his body ..we all got of the bus and within minutes there was crowds of people and 5 police cars , 4 ambulances they were taping up the area I bent down and looked under the bus and saw the man laying there under the wheels he's hand stayed upwards they covered the scence but we saw them lift the bus and put him straight onto a strecther ...into the ambulance he wasnt moving at the way they did it so quick as usally they need to move them carefully tells me hes dead I was crying my eyes out a split second he was apparently on the train ran for the bus ...didnt even no that would be hes last journey if hes dead with he defo 99% is ..I will never ever forget the hand and seeing him scarred me ...Just seen now its confirmed he died at the scene :'(

It looks to be mostly just a tidyup of what's there already. Resounding 'meh'.

They're taking away the guardrails to expand the available waiting area on the island, widening it a touch and putting in a few advance stop lines for cyclists using the carriageway. Still three crossing stages to get from the bus stop on Sydenham Hill to the Horniman, pretty rubbish if you ask me.