Dulwich train passengers grab lucky escape

Laur

Todays news:

TRAIN PASSENGERS GRAB LUCKY ESCAPE

Nearly 90 train passengers have had a lucky escape after the mechanical grab section of a builders' lorry broke off and landed on the track after the vehicle hit a rail bridge.

A train operated by the Southern company stopped short of the grab which then became welded to the track.

London Fire Brigade posted pictures on Twitter showing firefighters using cradles to transfer passengers from the train to another train alongside.

The incident happened at Dulwich in south London. The transferred passengers, who were taken to Tulse Hill station, had been on a West Croydon to London Bridge service.

London Fire Brigade tweeted: "89 passengers have safely been transferred onto another train after lorry crashes into railway bridge in Dulwich."

There were delays of up to 50 minutes on services between London Bridge and Tulse Hill following the lunchtime incident.

Thisi the email I received:

"

Date: 8 April 2015 14:38:44 BST

Subject: FW: BRIDGE BASH NORTH DULWICH

Good afternoon,

I wanted to update you on a serious bridge bash at North Dulwich.

Just before 11am today a lorry with a crane attachment hit a Network Rail bridge on Village Way (A2214) in North Dulwich, with the crane extended. The impact was such that part of the bridge parapet and part of the crane itself fell onto the railway, causing a short circuit and stopping a nearby Southern train.

Power was cut off to the conductor rail and the train, which was carrying 89 passengers, was evacuated by bringing another train alongside it.

Trains are being disrupted between London Bridge and Tulse Hill with delays of up to 50 minutes. Trains began running with speed restrictions around 2.15pm.

An engineer is on site inspecting the bridge further and should any structural defect be found, then we may have to stop trains for repairs to be made.

If you need any further information then please do not hesitate to give me a call or email me.

"

Thankfully no one appears hurt.

Latest Network Rail statement -

"

Good afternoon,

A further update for you, normal working has resumed. Southern say service will start to return to normal from 1600 and there are no plans to reduce or amend service this evening.

Again, if you need any further information then please do not hesitate to give me a call or email me.

"