Pesticide spraying?

I just spotted a workman spraying what looked to be pesticide all over the pavements. He covered the area on Lordship Lane between Pellatt Road and Heber Road.

Is the council allowed to do this, and is it necessary? I have a dog and I'm somewhat concerned about the dosage that's being used...

Hi magnificentstan,

I saw the blokes last year and complained to the council about spraying the pavements outside our house with pesticides. I avoid chemicals in the home and in the food that I eat, so was not happy about it at all. I pointed out that if they were so harmless why was the person spraying, fitted out with mask, boots and protective clothing? They were spraying on windy day too, so blowing spray into homes and gardens.

After re-sending the email a couple of times, I eventually was asked to supply my 'phone number so that they could call me. I told them that I would just like a simple statement about the chemicals used by them on the streets as a response to my enquiry.

I'm still waiting for an answer, but don't hold my hope of getting one!

Cheers.

i*Rate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I pointed out that if they were

> so harmless why was the person spraying, fitted

> out with mask, boots and protective clothing?

Probably because, given they are doing it all day, they are exposed to much greater amounts of something which is not harmful at lower dosages. Bit like the dentist running out of the room when you have an xray.

Burbage Wrote:

> i*Rate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I would just like a simple statement about the

> > chemicals used by them on the streets as a

> response

> > to my enquiry.

>

> Allow me to make your day:

>

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200089/street_cle

> aning/3621/weed_control

Erm, but where does it list the active chemicals, and their carrier formulation? Or did I miss it? Maybe the page doesn't load fully on my phone...

I think the council should put warning notices up in roads before they spray there.

Last year my then five year old granddaughter and myself were weeding a tree pit outside my house prior to sowing seeds in it.

I then found out that these weeds had already been sprayed with pesticides, but not yet showing any signs.

ETA: Otta, would you be happy for your children to get glyphosate on their hands?

Round Up and Glyphosate are toxic to humans and animals and aquatic life.

And one of the most dangerous things about them is that people do not read the label in terms of dosage and distribution.

I'd wager that 90% of people who read this do not even read the label for something as commonly used as slug pellets.

Herne Hill Guest Wrote:

> I'd wager that 90% of people who read this do not even read the label for something as commonly used as slug pellets.

I'd wager that 90% of people who read this do not even read the label on their toothpaste, either. Or read the manual for their washing machine. Or read their house insurance policy.

People are like that.

Herne Hill Guest Wrote:

> Round Up and Glyphosate are toxic to humans and

> animals and aquatic life.

> And one of the most dangerous things about them is

> that people do not read the label in terms of

> dosage and distribution.

> I'd wager that 90% of people who read this do not

> even read the label for something as commonly used

> as slug pellets.

I'll have a little bet with you that the council have read the label though.

Sue Wrote:

> ETA: Otta, would you be happy for your children to

> get glyphosate on their hands?

Ecstatic, I think I'd throw a party to celebrate.

Or I'd just tell them to wash their hands like I do when they get all sorts of grime on them.

Otta Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

>

> > ETA: Otta, would you be happy for your children

> to

> > get glyphosate on their hands?

> Ecstatic, I think I'd throw a party to

> celebrate.

>

> Or I'd just tell them to wash their hands like I

> do when they get all sorts of grime on them.

The point is, I didn't know the weeds had been sprayed.

If I had, she would not have been weeding there at all, or else would have worn gloves.

According to Wiki, "In March 2015 the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer published a summary of its forthcoming monograph on glyphosate, and classified it as "probably carcinogenic in humans" (category 2A) based on epidemiological studies, animal studies, and in vitro studies.[7][8][9]"

I am not suggesting that one-off minimal exposure to glyphosate on a five year old's hands is likely to cause her to develop cancer, however I am suggesting that residents should be made aware that spraying is taking place.

And yes of course she would have washed her hands. But that would have been after the exposure.

But before she washed her hands she might well have put them to her mouth for some reason while she was weeding.

If I (or my children) had been weeding a public street tree pit (where dogs regularly pee, and then some) I would certainly be getting them (and me) to wear gloves or at the least to thoroughly wash my hands afterwards (and not lick them!) - regardless of what chemicals the council might have thought about spraying.

aquarius moon Wrote:

> Loz Wrote:

> ---

>

> > Or read the manual for their washing machine.

> >

>

>

> That's a 'man' thing Loz. I've yet to meet one who

> reads instructions for anything. They never think

> they need them when they really do! ;-)

It's also a 'my wife' thing as well...

Are you actually claiming to have read the whole manual for your washing machine, AM?