L'Auberge

marcos

Hi Marcos, I remember L'Auberge, my husband and I had our wedding breakfast there in Sep '89. It was, as the name suggests, a French bistro run by a lovely husband and wife team: Anne (a stern looking Irish lady who was quite the opposite once you got chatting with Her) who ran front of house and also waited and Sami who was the chef. Sami was Egyptian, so although mostly French there were always a couple of Egyptian specialities on the menu such as Ful Medames. Sadly Sami had a serious accident cycling home one night and the place closed down. Later on the pair took on Le Chardon in Lordship Lane for a while and then had Bont Interiors in the same parade as L'Auberge. I don't think Sami ever really recovered completely from his accident though. No idea where they are now - such a shame as we have very happy memories of our meals at L'Auberge.

If you went for dinner at L'Auberge Anne would bring a glass of white vermouth with ice and a plate of crudit?s while you perused the menu. When we went after our wedding we ate scallops followed by rabbit in a cream and calvados sauce and then creme br?l?e - there was definitely champagne involved too - that menu looks quite pedestrian by today's standards, but it was beautifully cooked and absolutely delicious.

Prior to opening L'Auberge I believe Sami worked for a chef called Nico Ladenis who started out in Lordship Lane and had a Michelin star.

Hope that's of interest - would love to hear if anyone else remembers It too.

That was most interesting. I lived in a different part of East Dulwich then and didn't venture into Forest Hill Road. I do remember the Michelin star restaurant in Lordship Lane though. It was called 'Chez Nico' and was way more expensive than anywhere else locally. After it closed the building became a burger restaurant for a while and then became Mr. Liu Chinese restaurant which has now been there for a long time.

This has just sent my mind wild with happy memories. When I was at Westminster College training to be a chef I worked at L'Auberge for a few years and loved it. I worked on Tuesday evenings then moved to Thistles on Lordship Lane (le Chardon) at weekends.

They really were a lovely couple. Anne taught me so much about front of house and Sami was the most incredible chef who worked so hard. He introduced me to spices that I had never heard of before!!

Last I heard was that they were both doing well and happy.

Thank you Marcus for opening this post and Greedy Girl for sharing your memories - I may have even worked on your wedding - I did a few in my time there!

Suzanne James xx

Thank you for this greedy girl and others it's amazing what memories a simple question opens up. We live close by in Dunstans road and moved in in 2002. I remember eating in the restaurant when it was Two trees and I recollect the menu was French with some Moroccan Tagine dishes ( maybe an influence from L'auberg?) then what is now the current Italian Si Mangia was renamed Two Trees and the original restaurant closed and has been shut ever since. Looking forward to having a French Restaurant on our doorstep and a new coffee shop as well. I didn't know that Mr Liu used to be Chez Nico when did that change?

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> marcos Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I didn't know that Mr Liu used to be

> > Chez Nico when did that change?

>

> Early 80s?

I'm pretty sure it was the late 70's. Nico famously had a sign in the window which said 'We dot serve prawn cocktails or well done steak'

EDOldie Wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it was the late 70's.

Probably... I was only guessing.

> Nico famously had a sign in the window which said 'We

> dot serve prawn cocktails or well done steak'

Which Le Moulin probably interpreted as a business opportunity. For the next 30+ years.

In 1973 the Ladenises opened their first restaurant in Dulwich, south London; by 1981, in a second restaurant in Battersea, they had their first Michelin star;by 1984 they had two and held on to them in a succession of immaculate restaurants in Berkshire, Pimlico and the present Great Portland Street premises north-east of Oxford Circus.

marcos Wrote:

> He opened his first restaurant, Chez Nico, in 1973

> and famously decreed that no diner could have a

> second G&T, get the lighting altered or ask for

> salt

As far as I can remember he went as far as saying he would eject anyone asking for salt from the restaurant.

DulwichFox

Indeed. Often see Sami sitting outside the French Caf? or eating at Si Mangia, where he is a regular. I think he still lives along that strip. I remember when he had Thistles (now Le Chardon) as I had a girlfriend who waitressed there for a while. Would often enjoy after hours drinks there.

Very glad this place is finally getting sorted out. The bookies and the Laundromat next then.

I also remember the lock inn's. Hello Brother of Sammi's favourite greetings. I am fairly sure he actually lives above the French restaurant and may in fact own the property. At one time Sammi would visit us in Therapia to collect a supply of Bay leaves as we have a large Bay tree in the garden, however have not seen him in over a year sincerely hope that Sammi and Anne are well.

Shhhhhhhhhh dont mention the Lock Ins!

I have such fond memories of my time working for Sami and Anne. She was strict though! Sami was always joking around but Anne was the tough one.

He was kinda my food hero. Knew so much and I was like a sponge desperate to soak up as much information as I could get from him. He had the most incredible palette and taught me so much about food.

I bumped into their son recently and he said they were both well.

It was a sad day when L'Auberge closed, not only was the food great but Sami and Anne were great hosts and always made you feel welcomed.

Sorry Sami never really recovered from his accident you will never get Egyptian/French food again.

My brother Kevin was at Westminster College, I think he learnt more working under Sami than he did at College. He has now moved to Oz and is teaching catering.

Sami and Anne are still in Forest Hill Road above the French Cafe, Sami can be seen in Si Mangia and Anne on her bike around Dulwich.