Do you walk through through Camberwell New Cemetery?

Do you walk through Camberwell New Cemetery on your way from East Dulwich to Brockley or Nunhead to Honor Oak Park Station or any other route? As most of us know, Southwark has plans to alter Camberwell New and Old Cemeteries. The "Save Southwark Woods" postings have information about this. Whether or not the all plans do go ahead, it's likely that the change of use of the old nursery (concreted area) of the cemetery will happen and with it some changes to access at the Honor Oak Park end. I'd like to try and make sure that the needs of pedestrians using this as a healthy off-road route to work or school are not overlooked. I'm going to contact the council officials and councillors to ask that access points are in sensible places for pedestrians and also that disused gates e.g. opposite Kelvington Avenue are opened up. It would be good to know if anyone else would be interested in this too. Let me know the routes you take and if you think there should be new access points. Thanks!

If the plans go ahead as discussed at the public meeting that I attended, the intention is very much to continue to provide pedestrian access through the cemetery - you can see the new pedestrian access point to Honor Oak Park, plus other new pedestrian access points from One Tree Hill and elsewhere on the drawings by downloading the "Proposals for Camberwell old and new cemeteries" document at the bottom of this page: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/iies

Good work, east-of-the-rye. I emailed the council about these plans, asking them to re-open the gate opposite the southern end of Kelvington Road. If that was open, there'd be a direct route for pedestrians from that part of Nunhead through to Honor Oak Park station. For many of us, it's our nearest station as the crow flies but is actually quite impractical currently because the route is so circuitous - either through the woods of One Tree Hill or through the main cemetery entrance on Brenchley Gardens. You end up doing three sides of a square, if the path is open at all.

Good luck with your efforts. They didn't get back to me about it, but I'd be very happy to contact them again if you find somebody who actually responds.

Agree with this. From Overhill I have to walk round and enter at corner of Langton Rise/Wood Vale, so kind of 3 sides of a square to get to the bus stop on FHR - very much a first world problem obviously, but an entrance at this end would be quite useful!

indiepanda Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Access onto Underhill Road would be an

> improvement. I don't tend to walk through it but

> would use to walk through to Forest Hill Rd if

> there was access at the Honor Oak Mansions end of

> the cemetery.

HelBel65 and indiepanda are both referring to Camberwell Old Cemetery - the New one isn't on Underhill, Langton or Woodvale. Which isn't to say more entrances wouldn't be useful there as well, but the thread seems to be concerned about a different cemetery.

oops - apologies!

Penguin68 Wrote:

> HelBel65 and indiepanda are both referring to

> Camberwell Old Cemetery - the New one isn't on

> Underhill, Langton or Woodvale. Which isn't to say

> more entrances wouldn't be useful there as well,

> but the thread seems to be concerned about a

> different cemetery.

Hi east-of-the-Rye.

Yes I definitely think the access should be better. A couple of members of the SSW campaign and I are going to a stake holders meetings about the plans. I will raise the issue of access including your points in that forum as well if you like.

Regarding the COC - the current plans include a new access point on Underhill near Hillcourt which is welcome.

Hi henryb

Good luck with your SSW campaign. Could I ask you to raise the point we've mentioned about re-instating the footpath entrance opposite Kelvington Road please? This is in Camberwell New Cemetery and would effectively bring Honor Oak Park station much closer to many residents in our part of Nunhead. This doesn't seem to be in any current plans but it doesn't make any sense to me that this access route is currently shut.

Thanks

For information, Southwark's plans for the old cemetery include a new access point on Underhill Road opposite the entrance to Hillcourt Road

HelBel65 Wrote:

> Agree with this. From Overhill I have to walk

> round and enter at corner of Langton Rise/Wood

> Vale, so kind of 3 sides of a square to get to the

> bus stop on FHR - very much a first world problem

> obviously, but an entrance at this end would be

> quite useful!

>

>

> indiepanda Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Access onto Underhill Road would be an

> > improvement. I don't tend to walk through it

> but

> > would use to walk through to Forest Hill Rd if

> > there was access at the Honor Oak Mansions end

> of

> > the cemetery.

Hi all,

this seems to be a thread with a mixture of comments on Camberwell New and Old Cemeteries. There are plans being discussed about an extra entrance at the Underhill side to Camberwell Old Cemetery and also a better access route to HOP station. I will look into Kelvington Road .

Renata

Adding to the eclectic mix I'll say: everyone read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book ASAP! Buy it for yourself, your kids and everyone in between. The wild precious space frozen by a quirk of time in cemeteries needs to be locked fast for eternity. No more six foot cement slabs. Long live Southwark's 100 Acre Woods