Virgin broadband

dennis

Had a long chat with the Virgin Media complaints department today. They informed me there are capacity issues in the area and the service will be degraded until July at the very least.They have knocked ?10.00 off my monthly bill as compensation

Was thinking of moving anyway as service has been poor since it was installed, this just makes the decision easier

S

Goose green, road side. No problems at all.

I originally had Sky but the max they could provide was 5mb through the phone line (which turned out to be about 1mb once in reality) so I cancelled in the first week before they installed the TV - no use in paying ?50 a month for internet and TV when it's quicker to use your data than it is to use your wifi!

Virgin has been fab since. At least for me. That's on the fibre optic package.

I had terrible problems with my Virgin broadband service a couple of years back which grew in severity until, finally, I was left with no internet connection for six weeks. Count 'em. Six! I wasted eons of time on the phone to technical advisers attempting to use me as an unpaid, not to mention unskilled, on-site technician. The thing is the problem clearly wasn't a fault with my router or computer. Two separate home visits by engineers also failed to fix the problem. So I decided to stop banging my head against the brick wall, cancelled my contract and switched to another provider. My broadband has worked a treat since. Life really is too short.

The Virgin service has been rubbish here (Barry Road area) for the last few weeks (it was fine until a total outage three weeks ago, and since them it has fluctuated between a quite reasonable 60/70 Mbps off peak to as low as 1Mbps, or offline altogether, at peak times). We spent ages on the phone to the technical support people, and had an engineer visit too, and got the same information as @sniggum. Basically, it appears to be a capacity issue, it will take until at least July to fix (but I have a very low level of confidence in that), and there's very little that can be done in the meantime.

We've ordered our switch to BT Infinity.

p.s. if you push them Virgin will refund your broadband charges for the period that there are problems. But not the phone line or TV service costs, as these are 'a completely different service'...

JesusMaryandJoseph Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Virgin have been trouble free in my area, if they

> are going to do work on it, they send me a letter

> letting me know when and at what times. Had no

> problem with them.

Wow, it would seem that nowhere is sacred from Branson's empire ;)

• 2 months later...
Is anyone having on going problems with Virgin Broadband? Our wired and wireless connections keep dropping out. Virgin told me they have ongoing issues that involve an upgrade to their networK that may not be finished until end of July. Anyone know if this is truth or lies? Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Also on Barry road with no TV/Broadband or Phone for over a week now. Basically the council cut a tree down (towards the library) and cut through the cable. Virgin need to come and repair it but seems to be a delay in getting someone out (also given the 29th). While they advertise the best sporting weeks ever - we can't watch it. It is just one of these things but annoying waiting!! The communication from Virgin has been poor.

jane1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Im on BT broadband and that has been playing up

> for a few weeks now too.

I've been on BT broadband since day one. It's painfully slow..

Download 2.67Mb

Upload 0.93Mb

I get better speeds on some public Wi-Fi.

DulwichFox

Even normal ADSL shouldn't be that bad - and wasn't for me before I changed to Infinity. There is special plate you can put into a normal master socket which sorts out problems within your home. It does seem like there may be a problem on your line which could be causing this - those speeds are way below what should should be expecting - but if you access wirelessly you will see some drop-off in speed. I've just run the BT wholesale speed testhttp://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , having done none of the things they tell me to to get the best results (and someone is using the system to watch streamed TV at the moment in the house) and I am getting 32 down and 14 up.

If you are receiving speeds that you believe are too low against your expectations (having checked them) then you should contact your ISP (BT in the cases above I think) - there may well be problems with the line to your house (including cross-connections in your cabinet if you have underground delivery, or interference with your wires if your have distribution from a pole) or to the exchange equipment (line cards) and these can be checked. From BT's guidance, (amended for sense) you need to make sure

1. Your computer is plugged into the broadband line to be tested. This tester may not work on iPads/Tablets, smartphones or other mobile devices.

2. Your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).

3. Any wireless adapter in your computer is switched off.

4. Close any programs that may be running on your computer. This includes any background programs such as anti-virus software, corporate VPNs, peer2peer clients etc. (Please ensure you re-enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).

5. If you haven't rebooted your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. and waiting for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.

6. and restarted your browser.

7. and ensured no other people or devices (e.g. broadband-connected TV set-top boxes) are using the broadband line to be tested.

then your tested speed may well be lower than your anticipated speed. With none of these being true for me (i.e. my speed will be lower because of it) I am still downloading at 30mgs + (which is only 50% of the possible speed, but then I'm creating obstacles all around for optimising my speed).