Peckham Rye - new summertime, new garbage

New summer in prospect, the Rye does indeed look good, and a fresh 'football season' gets underway.

But what's this? Again? Early Saturday evening and depressingly familiar piles, water bottles and other garbage, are dotted over the grass.

Was this disgrace not raised several years ago right here on the EDF? Did local councillors not take Southwark park management to task? Did they - WE - not recieve a promise, not only that large bins would be put out, but that the situation would be properly overseen and warnings issued?

Well, the promise is evidently long forgotten and these municipal zombies are, as ever, zzz'ing in complacent torpor at the wheel.

I'm all for every possible activity on our green spaces. I think it's great that we all enjoy ourselves in the park and on the Rye. But to work, this little urban arcadia needs just a few rules, and one of them - surely - is not dumping your cr*p. Mutual respect, basically. The carrot is always better than the stick, and bleeding-hearts always think people just need to be 'educated' - myself, I think a few prosecutions and hefty fines for littering would have an exemplary effect.

Common sense? Watch now readers, and see your humble poster accused of: making a fuss over nothing; of ranting; of having the temerity to question the sacred right of games-players to do whatever, wherever, whenever, however (like playing cricket on a busy Rye pathway); and - this one REALLY gets me - of racism.

Lee Scoresby

Hello Lee,

Council staff do clear litter in the parks at the weekends, and this is intensified as the weather warms up and there are more users of the park. Additionally, this year we funded a project which is to work with the different groups that regularly use the park at weekends to improve the situation with the litter.

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Lee,

> Council staff do clear litter in the parks at the

> weekends, and this is intensified as the weather

> warms up and there are more users of the park.

> Additionally, this year we funded a project which

> is to work with the different groups that

> regularly use the park at weekends to improve the

> situation with the litter.

> Renata

Picking up litter around here is like painting the forth bridge.

People really have to tidy up after themselves and their businesses

Agree with Nigello. Surely it is easy to make a substantial difference - you just tell whichever club/team rents the pitches that if they leave crap behind they will no longer be allowed to play there. The club could then tell their players and someone would no doubt be given responsibility for checking the area is clean when they leave (or the players would not just drop their litter).

If littering continued and one team were banned for the year, or even just a month, the word would quickly get around the others.

I find it a bit depressing, that perhaps the council should solve this issue by providing more bins.

Seriously, can a bunch of adults/young people/children find it so difficult to clear up after themselves?

• 4 weeks later...