Underhill Road CLOSURE 11 May - 6 July Thames Water works

Thames Water need to install a non return valve on the main sewer that runs along the middle of 237-247 Underhill Road for 8 weeks. This does seem an inordinate amount of time - I will repeat my challenge of why so very long.

Any Thames Water installing a non return valve experts on the forum able to technically comment?

I had thought of asking for these works to take place during the summer holiday - less traffic disruption - but then we have lots more kids and parents around beign disturbed by any noise. So on relfection havent asked for this.

As this excavation is at depth steel sheeting needs to be installed to protect the excavations and after much prodding they're insistent the whole road will need to be closed.

The P13 bus diversion will be Upland Road, Dunstans Road, Peckham Rye, Barry Road Lordship Lane.

Neat the way we get a cinema where the 'best' bus for many would be the P13 to see it diverted away from the cinema almost as soon as it opens. Taken with the continuing chaos around London Bridge and the completely laughable disruption around the Elephant for 176 and 63/ 363 users - and many others (the buses no longer even reach part of the tube at Elephant) - the bit that the buses are now barred from actually isn't being worked on, and probably won't for months, but still a full 15+ month closure is enforced - and you might think that the public authorities are out to punish this bit of Southwark for being, well, this bit of Southwark.

So if the whole road is closed, what does that mean for residents of Underhill? Are we not going to be able to get our cars out unless we park on another street before the works start?

I have to admit, I really can't see why the whole road would need to be closed given the range of numbers you've quoted James - it sounds like it's just the bit between Dunstans and Upland that is affected, presumably this is linked to the recent works on St. Aiden's Road?

I will be away when the works start so want to know if I have to find somewhere else to park my car before I go, can't do without it for eight weeks.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The P13 bus diversion will be Upland Road,

> Dunstans Road, Peckham Rye, Barry Road Lordship

> Lane.

I don't quite understand how this diversion works. I assume this is going towards Streatham and the bus would turn right along Upland Road (after the Friern Road stop) until it intersects with Dunstans Road (but remains as Upland Road) and then turn right along Lordship Lane thus missing the affected part of Underhill Road along with the rest of it and Melford Road.

I cannot work out where Peckham Rye and Barry Road come into it going in either direction.

Underhill Road from 237-247 will be closed to motor traffic. Still open for pedestrians and cyclists (who may need to walk along some pavement).

The works will take palce 6 days as week to minimise the time of closure.

So if anyone spots no work taking place on the site 8am-6pm Mon-Sat inclusive please escalate to me. I have the suspicion Thames Water contractors will not bust a gut to get this done quicker - delighted if I get corrected. I am escalating to the Thames Water local government liaison person.

Hi SebsC,

The closure will be of ?Underhill Road between Dunstans Road and Upland Road. Very close to St.Aidans.

I also can't picture the diversion other than - Dunstans Road, Peckham Rye, Barry Road, Lordship Lane finally Upland Road. A very very long diversion. Suspect Lordship Lane will get cut out after a short while.

I'm only guessing, but the only way I can make sense of the diversion details given by James Barber, is that the buses heading for Streatham go right into Upland Rd and turn left into Lordship Lane at the top of the road, while the buses in the other direction turn down Dunstans to Peckham Rye and then turn up Barry Rd and then right into Underhill to continue along their normal route.

kiera Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm only guessing, but the only way I can make

> sense of the diversion details given by James

> Barber, is that the buses heading for Streatham go

> right into Upland Rd and turn left into Lordship

> Lane at the top of the road, while the buses in

> the other direction turn down Dunstans to Peckham

> Rye and then turn up Barry Rd and then right into

> Underhill to continue along their normal route.

That would seem the most practical as you can't have the bus running in both directions along either Upland or Dunstans.

• 2 weeks later...
Letter through the door from Thames Water. Starting Monday 8th June til the end of June. St.Aidans Road will become a one-way street from Underhill Road and local diversion signs will be in place. The P13 bus route will be diverted along Lordship Lane in both directions and will not go down Underhill or Whatley Road whilst the road is closed.