New Playground - Dulwich Park

As of this weekend, the children were playing there because someone has purposefully pulled down a section of fencing and lots of irresponsible parents were allowing their children to play in that area. My husband and I managed to avert one accident by stopping two little boys from trying to climb over a section of the spiky fence because they hadn't realised it was breached elsewhere. The new equipment may well not have been signed off as safe yet so i can't imagine how stupid those parents have to be to allow their little ones in there. Hopefully the fence is reinstated or the new section opened fully soonest.

Ironic that equipment designed to be played on by children needs 10 meetings of bureaucrats

to sanction the equipment as safe ...

...when children have been encouraged to play and climb on the new Pipe Sculptures which were

never primarily designed for that purpose.

Call me Old Fashioned..

Foxy

SLad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The new equipment may well not have been signed

> off as safe yet so i can't imagine how stupid

> those parents have to be to allow their little

> ones in there. Hopefully the fence is reinstated

> or the new section opened fully soonest.

That's possible, but I'd think it more likely that the fencing is there, as has been is in other parts of the park, to allow the grass to grow over the new landscape. All the new slopes will need something to hold them together, and grass does that quite well, but only if the root systems are allowed to develop properly.

If that doesn't happen, you'll get a lot of erosion and mud, and further costs to put it right again, which will mean less money for maintaining other things.

SLad Wrote:

> As of this weekend, the children were playing

> there because someone has purposefully pulled down

> a section of fencing and lots of irresponsible

> parents were allowing their children to play in

> that area. My husband and I managed to avert one

> accident by stopping two little boys from trying

> to climb over a section of the spiky fence because

> they hadn't realised it was breached elsewhere.

> The new equipment may well not have been signed

> off as safe yet so i can't imagine how stupid

> those parents have to be to allow their little

> ones in there. Hopefully the fence is reinstated

> or the new section opened fully soonest.

This has been going on for a few weeks, makes me so cross. Parents don't lift a finger to stop it, and so you look like a right mean bastard when you tell your kid that they can't join in.

Or... How about not putting up a pointless fence around a playground that kids can see but not touch?

The newly laid turf wasn't watered properly and didn't take in some areas, then the grass was left to over-grow rather than being promptly cut to encourage vigorous growth - exactly not the way to treat newly laid/seeded turf.

The opening was delayed by pointless incompetence/indifference.

Marcus Wrote:

> Or... How about not putting up a pointless fence

> around a playground that kids can see but not

> touch?

When I was there (couple of weeks back)it certainly wasn't a pointless fence. It was a fence to stop kids playing on unfinished and potentially dangerous equipment.

I'm not one for wrapping kids in cotton wool, but I'd rather them be kept away from unfinished equipment.

Otta Wrote:

>

> This has been going on for a few weeks, makes me

> so cross. Parents don't lift a finger to stop it,

> and so you look like a right mean bastard when you

> tell your kid that they can't join in.

Tell me about it. I almost became the world's worst Aunt when I told my niece and nephew they weren't allowed to play on it. Luckily they were sated when they got to play on the brilliant new bits of play equipment which have been opened up at the end.

Who knows why the fence hasn't been removed yet (I assumed a final safety sign off which could well include the risks posed from allowing small children to clamber all over relatively steep banks without bedded in turf), but in addition to my safety concerns I have this weird and rather old-fashioned belief that certain things should be observed like spiky fences keeping little ones out of unfinished play areas.

SLad Wrote:

> I have this weird and rather

> old-fashioned belief that certain things should be

> observed like spiky fences keeping little ones out

> of unfinished play areas.

THANKYOU!!!!

THIS, completely!

Well - also what is the idea behind the new long low (climbing?) wall in the playground? Kids walk along the top but have to jump down (more or less safely given the height at the far end) and cannot pass each other easily if going in opposite directions on top.

It seems to me not such a great revamp, e.g. compare it with the playground in Brockwell park.

Z

As others said, I feel they should have taken inspiration from Brockwell Park playground that have utilised every inch of the space in exciting and different ways. Dulwich Park has so much to offer and yet the playground is lacklustre and uninspiring. They had so much space to really make something exciting and original and yet they have used so little of the available space and come up with something disappointing. Same with the playground in Peckham Rye. Do they not consult with parents or users of the playground as to what they want before re-designs?

As a Dulwich Park Friends committee member and long time volunteer, I'd highly recommend that you join the Friends (app form at dulwichparkfriends.org.uk) if you want to influence what happens in the park. We notify our members of plans and projects and invite comments. The consultation over the floodworks and related benefits for the park lasted 18 months and was widely publicised.

I will relay comments about the wall to the park manager - you can do this too, his contact details are on the Friends' website or Southwark's parks website. As to the playground, it's very subjective as to what is 'right'. I have had many comments direct about how enjoyable it is to have grassy, open, dog-free space for picnics and play. There is a cost factor too. The original playground was created after a big fundraising by the Friends. Volunteers are always welcome to help with keeping the park so pleasant to visit! Not least, we have a (more or less) monthly 'Dig the Park' where we work on planting and conservation work. Kids welcome, under supervision.

Trevor Moore