Selfish Parker

To the owner of the huge white van that is permanently and I think dangerously parked at the intersection of Goodrich Road and Crystal Palace Road. Every single morning I have to inch out into Crystal Palace Road from Goodrich Road praying that someone isn't driving or cycling too fast down Crystal Palace Rd from the left hand side. Your 'van' (I have no idea what make it is it just says Razorback on the rear door) is always there. I appreciate you have to park it somewhere but please please move it a few metres along Crystal Palace Road and away from this busy intersection. Your reg by the way is GU02 ZNR. Thanks in advance.

Vans parking near corners like this really gets my back up, it happens on Barry Rd a lot, where pulling-out is already a life-threatening activity !

But van drivers unfortunately have to park wherever they can just like the rest of us, as parking's at a premium in most of London...

If it is within 10 metres of the junction then it is parked illegally under Rule 243 of The Highway Code. A rule, like most motoring regulations, that is regularly flouted and completely ignored by the authorities. So our White Van Man has nothing to fear.

I agree about parking on corners. I think we need double yellows to prevent parking or mirrors placed at junctions. I frequently drive down Underhill Road and even though I'm really careful, am always thankful I'm not involved in an accident. Perhaps a local councillor could help with this?

I have spoken to the owner of the offending vehicle. Turns out he owns it and the other green beast that's parked right next to it at this busy intersection. He appeared massively unphased about the problem the white van causes road users. I asked him politely if he would be able to move it and he said he would think about it but wouldn't be minded to 'do it right away'. The galling thing is that it's across his 'driveway' and there's plenty of room for him to move it further up without any problem. Let's see what happens.

That van is a menace. Even cycling at reasonable and moderate speed down C Palace Road, it makes for a dangerous blind corner. Riding slowly still won't give you much time to brake (but it will at least hurt less if someone pulls out without looking).

To be honest the whole road suffers rather from this. In one or two places e.g. Whateley Road they've built out the junction corners to enforce nice clear sightlines, but it could really do with that the whole way along.

Yeah - sight-lines in East Dulwich are useless - will it take someone to be killed to get this sorted out?

I write as the owner and occasional driver of a motor that does not have forward control - as here....

http://www.forward-control.org/index.php/forward-control-vehicles-at-work/

I have real trouble seeing around corners :-(

And as a cyclist I've almost been totalled a number of times as wulfhound says

I know they've been moved - because I went round and talked to the owner of said vehicles.

If you want something done...don't write a note, don't moan online - go and tackle the issue head on.

Result - my drive to school tomorrow will be so much safer - hopefully.