Flightpaths over ED

Leaf

Maybe it's me spending more time outside/windows open but is there an increase in the number of planes flying overhead? There seems to be one every couple of minutes at the moment over our way (CPT), more than usual I thought. Disrupting my afternoon naps.

I think it's just that they are more noticeable in the summer when there are less clouds to hide the noise.

I do find the planes here surprisingly noisy though (and I have lived much closer to both Heathrow and Gatwick airports). Is it true it's the flight path to Heathrow?

There was a long thread about this a while back - see here.

Worth trawling through as some very good explanations, but if I recall correctly Heathrow mixes up the approach path so one area gets the noise for a while, then they swap to another area and so on. It's also particularly noisy around here because the planes are descending/coming out of stacking or something like that, so they have air brakes on (this you will appreciate is not a very techical summary) which make the loud whining noise you sometimes hear.

You can have fun tracking the Heathrow planes here, but sadly no equivalent for London City that I can find. Hopefully they will start one up when the suggested 50% increase in traffic into City kicks in. I definintely find ED a lot noiser for planes than where I used to live (in SE1). However, there are a lot less helicopters trawling up and down the Thames which used to drive me nuts, so I guess it evens out overall.

The higher larger planes are Heathrow bound.

But only when the wind is from the West. (unfortunately most of the time!)

When we have Easterlies the reduced traffic is noticeable.

The smaller lower ones are outbound from City.

These are lower but are of a quieter specification & as they are lower they do seem to be gone much quicker.

Helicopters are primarily the Police, looking for people I guess?

With the occasional others mostly ambulances.

The Heatrow traffic seemed to get worse after 9.11 when their routes over Central London where altered I think, sending them over us instead.

Funnily enough, had looked back at that thread very recently as was woken up at 00:13 a few days by a very noisy, low flying plane and wanted to try and work out where it had come from. My best guess is that is was a late outward flight from City (propeller not jet) as it was too big to be a private aircraft. found the observations in that thread very helpful - good to know we have so many informed people in ED (and one of the things I really like about the forum).

It was noticeably quieter when BA were on strike, it became rather villagey it was so lovely and peaceful.

I hope they have a permanent strike and go out of business, and they can take the bendy buses with them too:))

The flights over ED are supposed to increase and get lower. The government is planing to double the number of flights over London. Currently flights take off on one runway and land on another, thus, you will notice that the planes will sometimes be more over peckham rye (north runway) or more over ED (southern runway). Those at the top of ED near peckham rye are actually on two flight paths! When the new proposals come in they will do away with runway alterations. Two flight paths will operate over southern london in to Heathrow. To accomodate the increased traffic coming off the stacks they will bring the flights in even lower and at 60 second intervals (currently 90 seconds). They are also thinking of doing away with the current ban on night flights. The upshot is that things could likely get a lot worse. I really suggest people make their feelings known. This could mean constant noise over the neighbourhood. On top of all this, the economic case for Heathrows expansion is seriously flawed. The main problem being with even doubling the current flights over London and the third runway, there will no further room for epansion and by 2020 it will be again at capacity. Some people are calling for a complete rethink. Heathrow's current position is considered to be a disaster by everyone. It was a planning mistake as it was never meant to accomodate the traffic it does. I really suggest people get involved. You can join HACAN (www.hacan.org.uk) or other organisations aimed at lobbying the government. Also, phone up BAA and complain about them bringing in the planes so low. HACAN has noticed that its memberhsip base is shifting with people much further from Heathrow joining because they are bringing in planes lower and slower over London, meaning constant noise. Unfortunatly ED is right in the perfect spot to get a lot more plane noise!

Try putting a fan in the room. The white noise blocks out a lot of the sound. We get jumbo jets coming over very early sometimes and even with the windows closed if we don't have the fan on they can wake us up. Since sleeping with a fan, we are getting much more sleep!

On the point raised about what to actually loddy for, there is lot that can be done. I am not from London and I think it is shocking that everyone is so apathetic about the planes and how much worse they have gotten and are going to get. The government has postponed its decision on Heathrows massive expansion. Write to your MP and join HACAN. HACAN can be much more effective at lobbying when they have thousands and thousands of members. I am not going to say anything about other government policies, but Labour has been clear in putting Heathrow expansion as a priority, while the Conservatives have been much more critical. Even more interesting is that the new mayor is trying to get the idea of a new Thames estuary airport revived. This was looked at in 1987 (I remember it being a big item on the news) and then rejected in favour of terminal five. Well here we are 20 years later and Heathrow is again at capacity and further expansion (doubling!) is necessary. Maybe Heathrows location is a problem! Taking some pain now in terms of cost could benefit London in a huge way in the future. I don't want planes flying over head at 2000ft every 60 seconds, which is what is currently being proposed. It is bad enough at 4000ft and every 90 seconds....oh, and they want to fly them in around the clock!

Obviously one can tell this issue bothers me :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've become obsessed with the amount of planes flying over ED. I sat outside yesterday and in a 15 minute time frame there must have been 25 planes. There were 4 in the sky at one time. And they are much louder and lower than they used to be. I live in a really quiet street and I used to love the early mornings when you could hear birds, like being in the country. Now all I can hear are effing planes. In fact they are all day - if you can for a walk in the park what do you hear - planes. You can be sure that whoever gave the go ahead for so many planes to fly over SE London doesn't live anywhere near here. What can we do - it's so depressing? Where can we go to escape it?

I totally agree, Margot. WE lived in Aysgarth Rd down t'Village and when we moved up the road to Hillsboro Rd the increase in noise was shocking. I am unable to tune my guitar easily (indoors) by ear due to the constant noise of planes and it is driving me freaking mental too. Not only that but the frequency is appalling as well as the timing. It seems we have about two hours peace in the middle of the night and then it starts all over again. It really is getting to me.

So are we all going to join HACAN? I used to be a member, but not for a while. We need fewer planes. No wonder the ice caps are melting.