Firepit in garden

Southwark is a smokeless zone so I doubt it would be OK. Smoke - especially on still days - can be a real pain for people with breathing problems. (A bloke near me was burning plastic - yes, plastic - amongst other stuff in a back garden fire and really had no idea that it was a bad thing when I asked him to stop, pointing out the rules!)

can I take this opportunity to have a moan about people who have bonfires on lovely sunny days when windows are open and washing is out? Drives me nuts. Bonfires are for cold, miserable, autumn evenings. My dad always said so, so it must be true :)

I'm curious to hear other comments. If BBQs are generally considered to be ok, I wonder what the other restrictions

might be. The other day I was thinking about burning a pile of dry twigs and cuttings, but then decided not to, in case the inevitable smoke would have caused issues for some people.

That's what puzzles me. On a summer evening there can be loads of BBQs going. Surely that is no different to burning a few logs in a firepit or chiminea? I can understand burning plastic, that's just sheer ignorance!

BBQ smoke is usually short lived and less noxious. Perhaps the charcoal briquettes burn more cleanly? In the interests of being a good neighbour and not breaking the law, I wouldn't have any fire (other than a BBQ).

Oh - Should I apologise to my neighbours for smashing my old bike storage shed up and burning the wood in a chimenea a few months ago? In my defence it was a one off, it was winter so no windows were open and my neighbours seem like nice, understanding people, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded. Probably got some entertainment out of it.

I think as long as you don't take the mick and use it all the time it's ok. I quite like the smell of a good fire. I hardly ever use mine as I don't want to upset my neighbours but if I had people round for a party I would get it out again.

Also if you buy proper kiln dried wood from a reputable supplier it will minimise smoke.

Phobic3000 - It might look nice and - to you and others, smell nice - but smoke can really make some people's lives a misery. Those who are sensitive will find even the smoke from a small fire irritating and potentially damaging to their health. I suppose that is why there are laws and rules.

Your neighbours may well be understanding, but on the other hand they may also be asthmatic, bronchitic etc.

Yeah, fair enough, this particular occasion was a one off, and I did feel it was a bit wrong. I don't plan on burning wood like that again. However, I still think if its a party or family get together I'm within my rights to get the chimenea out again. Special occasion. But I'll only burn good quality kiln dried wood to keep smoke to a minimum. We're only talking maybe once a year. No biggie. Also my house backs onto school playing fields so it's not like we're completely surrounded by houses.

Our neighbours, after clearing their garden over grown with zoomax, nettles, sycamore and more have a bonfire pile to rival that of Crystal Palace bonfire night. I also heard "petrol" mentioned yesterday whilst we were all out in our gardens. Really looking forward to that going up...

ah, I'm being sneaky, up until a few months ago I was an East Dulwichite but I am now the wrong side of the hill in Sydenham, Lewisham Borough. I still read the EDF as it's more interesting than Sydenham Town. I did check the Lewisham council website and it states that domestic bonfires, whilst a nuisance are not illegal especially if they're burning garden waste and not producing black smoke. I will have a word if I see a petrol can however as it seems a bit over the top.

nobody's suggesting banning anything, just to use a bit of common sense when burning stuff in the garden - do when you're neighbours (not just the ones you can see either, bonfire smoke is far more pervasive that BBQ smoke, I couldn't even see the bonfire that was seeping into our house the other day) don't have their windows open or their washing out. That's all.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BBQ smoke is usually short lived and less noxious.

> Perhaps the charcoal briquettes burn more cleanly?

> In the interests of being a good neighbour and not

> breaking the law, I wouldn't have any fire (other

> than a BBQ).

Charcoal is the original smokeless fuel. Essentially it's distilled wood, with the elements driven of in a sealed oxygen free retort (kiln) until a crude-ish carbon is left behind

Briquettes are made (in the case of Webber) of mineral carbon, or coal to me and you. Some also contain burn retarders like limestone and borax, along with other burning materials to bulk it out

Charcoal is technically better, briquettes less so. But, if the charcoal come from a country like Paraguay (and much does) then it will be low grade 'brown' charcoal, as this weighs more and is less friable and therefore transports better.

However, this 'brown' grade of charcoal still has a further conversion period to go through, where the remaining elements are burned off. This will happen in your grill or BBQ, and it's where that very 'charcoally' taste originates from, it's also why some charcoal is near impossible to light. Buy British is a pretty safe bet, production methods and standards are generally much better, so easier to light

Wood varies according to type and how seasoned (dry) it is. The smoke part, usually grey/white and thick occurs during its preignition stage, where it's going through the process of trying to burn. Moisture from unseasoned wood is what inhibits the burning, hence the smoke as the wood is at the preignition/smokey stage longer.

In short, the volitile combustables are held back or retarded from ignition by moisture, and this mosture needs to be driven off before it can burn cleanly. Conversely, tar and creosote are among the first thiing driven out of the wood by heat, these are higher occouring in unseasoned wood. These amongst other things are what gives the sharp eye burning quality to the smoke initially

Moisture is held in a few ways within wood; and being hygroscopic the surface is susceptible to attracting and absorbing moisture, hence the smokiness when first lighting the fire. Secondly within the cellulose structure of the wood, and within the cavities and space formed by the cellulose structure of the wood

If you want less wood smoke, then burn seasoned and dry wood. Green freshly cut wood will smoke near endlessly, Soft wood (pines) are naturally resinious, so avoid unless really nice and dry. The ultimate goal is toward a red/orange coal from the wood, with a pale grey/white ash coating. Smoke will be near thin blue to clear and a light blue-purple gas close to the wood coal indicates the last of the elements converting.

And if you want BBQ over pure (hard)wood, then allow the initial 'grey/white' smoke part to pass, then cook over the wood coals as you would charcoal. It's very tasty

Except briquettes, they can go fuck themselves, as can BBQ-lighter fuel and the white paraffin cube things

Build your bonfire and label it as a celebration of some 'ethnic festival'. Date of November 5th is just one legitimate reason to have a bonfire. There must be loads of other calendar dates throughout the year where 'ethnic bonfires' can be lit. Lol