Want to open a Skateboard shop in Peckham/Dulwich

Hello

I am a skateboarder with 15 plus years experience on the board and 3 years experience as a youth worker and I'm interested in opening a skateboard shop in Peckham/Dulwich area. I feel that there is a massive gap in the market in South East London for a skateshop (nearest one being in Covent Garden) Peckham and Dulwich has a flourishing skate scene and a shop in the area will help nourish this.

This skateboard shop would be more than just a shop it would also be a gallery where local artist and musicians could showcase there work.

I have good contacts in the industry and the practical experience to make a success of it.

I am looking for investors that are interested in retail and helping the local creative scene.

If you are interested or have any questions please send me a email [email protected]

Regards Aaron H

Hi Aaron,

Have you thought of approaching a large bike shop to see if you could open within their premises as sub tenant.

OR try a stall at the North Cross Road market.

OR perhaps a mobile store that you can take to skateparks.

Perhaps worth doing something online to get started while other optinos crystallise.

GOOD LUCK.

Aaron - I love the idea of this, although it's pretty tough to make money I'm guessing. Might want to consider setting up an online store first, or doing some of the things James barber suggests (i.e. stall / sublet space).

As you'll probably know, there are moves to establish a state of the art / 'destination' skatepark in Crystal Palace park, so you may want to think about a shop there.

A store recently opened up in Deptford High Street (Curve) - which sells bike and skate stuff...Could be worth chatting to them too.

Really wish you well with this. I would love to see a decent, independent skate shop near by.

If you're really keen on a physical shop instead of an online or mobile store, maybe one of the arcades along Rye Lane. I admit they don't necessarily look all that inviting, but don't let that put you off. The units are small but I imagine they're pretty cheap.

Hi Aron, sorry am not in a position to invest, want to take up skating myself to lose some weight but too broke to atm. I really wish you well with this and it takes off. Its great to see skating popular amongst today's youth and have also noted the increased numbers of skaters around ED/Peckham. Have you tried getting an article in that Peckham newspaper or put up a page sites like Urban75 etc could cover?

why don't you approach one of the local bike shops - e.g. balfes on ed road or pauls on bellenden road (tho i guess prefereably the former as they have more space) - and ask if you can do a pop-up style shop within/out front of their shop for a month. that way you can get a good idea of how popular this could be