overhill road bicycle contra-flow

It seems that bicycles will now be allowed to go down Overhill Road. See website below.....

They already do it anyway so it might make sense for it to be allowed as long as it does not interfere with parking or upward flow of traffic.

www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200431/street_improvements/3657/overhill_road-_proposed_contra_flow_and_highway_improvements

Seems like some fairly sensible improvements. I'll be objecting to the widening of the junction mouth with Lordship Lane. It's a shame they aren't prepared to close it entirely as a through route for motor traffic. But otherwise supportive.

I live on Overhill Road and wouldn't want it closed for a through route, albeit that cars do go too fast down the hill. I would like to see the road re-surfaced as it seems to miss out whilst other roads are being re-surfaced. As a busy road, it could do with some TLC. As for bikes being allowed to go down the one-way, I think this is a fair suggestion.

It's a shame they aren't prepared to close it entirely as a through route for motor traffic.

There are precious few ways of getting in or out of Lordship Lane into and out of the roads that lie broadly north-east of it there - any one being blocked puts a lot of pressure on the others. Proper 2 way routes are now only Friern, Upland, Underhill and Woodvale. Coming from Forest Hill along London Road and Lordship Lane it is now only possible to get (legally) to that part of East Dulwich via Honor Oak Road and then Overhill - all other roads are either illegal to turn into, blocked-off or one-way the wrong way. Coming from Sydenham, Overhill is the first legal turn you get to. Channeling that traffic into Friern, Upland or Barry (particularly when these routes take you away from where you actually want to be) would be very unhelpful. For people who live in Overhill accessing it (if coming along Lordship lane or London Road) would require, again, a significant diversion through other small streets. No existing routes are ideal, to remove yet another would simply add further pressures to those that remain.

+1 for what Penguin says. Since Melford became one way in part, the Overhill Road turning is the only way to get to this set of streets if you're travelling from FH towards ED. I responded to the original consultation which was a while back and as far as I know it's going ahead - and it does involve resurfacing of the road which is in a shocking state.

Just for your guys, in my benign dictatorship you can have residents exemptions to the no through road. I would also close Friern. That way motor traffic would have Barry and Underhill to get between Peckham Rye and Lorship Lane. More than enough and then we wouldn't have all the rat running that plagues that area.

That way motor traffic would have Barry and Underhill to get between Peckham Rye and Lorship Lane. More than enough and then we wouldn't have all the rat running that plagues that area.

Oh, thanks, as someone who lives in Underhill you are planning to get all the rat-running past my front door (and no doubt take the share of it away from yours)

Yeah pretty much. Too much rat running and school running down Friern in the mornings and evenings. Sorry, it's for the greater good. With a bit of luck it'll achieve enough of a modal shift to cut out rat running all together.

Agreed Wulfhound. Given the proximity of Barry to Friern (and CP road for that matter) there really is no good reason that the latter is still available for rat running. A few sensibly placed modal filters (like the one near the bottom of Friern) would do the trick without major expense.

Buses are allowed to make the turn into Underhill coming from FH. Would it add that much more traffic to allow cars to do the same? I cycle so am fortunate that I can take the cycle crossing near Wood Vale and legally turn but on the occasions where I am with a driver it is really convoluted.

As a pedestrian, only allowing the 363 bus makes crossing Underhill Road safer as you only have to look to see if cars are coming from The Grove. If the right turn was allowed, it stop the controflow of traffic on the left lane towards Dulwich Common as cars go into the left lane, then back into the right lane.

Remember that TfL manage that section of Lordship Lane, where their interests are for the car user and not pedestrians as shown by their lack of interest in resolving the crossing issues at the LL/Dulwich Common junction.

Please don't force more rat running onto Underhill Road. Even with traffic calming measures most cars exceed the limit.

Potential idea - close Underhill halfway along so its no longer a "through" road, and residents can access from the appropriate end?

bobbsy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Please don't force more rat running onto Underhill

> Road. Even with traffic calming measures most cars

> exceed the limit.

>

> Potential idea - close Underhill halfway along so

> its no longer a "through" road, and residents can

> access from the appropriate end?

Why? If people have paid their car licence they are entitled to use the road.

There too much let's close this and that. The road has always been a thru road long before the recent influx of people.

spider69 Wrote:

> bobbsy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Please don't force more rat running onto

> Underhill

> > Road. Even with traffic calming measures most

> cars

> > exceed the limit.

> >

> > Potential idea - close Underhill halfway along

> so

> > its no longer a "through" road, and residents

> can

> > access from the appropriate end?

>

>

> Why? If people have paid their car licence they

> are entitled to use the road.

>

What's this "car licence" you speak of?

The general movement to strategically close roads in certain places is mainly because people are sick of selfish, rat running motorists bringing noise, pollution, death and destruction to otherwise quiet residential streets. I hope we see a lot more of it in ED.

VED? The thing you pay to compensate everyone else from the emissions from your vehicle?

My point is that doesn't "entitle" you to use the road. And your paying of it certainly doesn't constitute and argument against traffic calming.

davidk Wrote:

> spider69 Wrote:

> -----

> > bobbsy Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Please don't force more rat running onto

> > Underhill

> > > Road. Even with traffic calming measures most

> > cars

> > > exceed the limit.

> > >

> > > Potential idea - close Underhill halfway

> along

> > so

> > > its no longer a "through" road, and residents

> > can

> > > access from the appropriate end?

> >

> >

> > Why? If people have paid their car licence they

> > are entitled to use the road.

> >

>

>

> What's this "car licence" you speak of?

>

> The general movement to strategically close roads

> in certain places is mainly because people are

> sick of selfish, rat running motorists bringing

> noise, pollution, death and destruction to

> otherwise quiet residential streets. I hope we

> see a lot more of it in ED.

was this a location film set for Mad Max. Magic. substitute Vikings for motorist and you can see things have not changed that much