Dial-a-cab : not impressed

We?ve had a bad experience with dial-a-cab this morning where they haven?t turned up causing my wife to miss a booked seat on a train from Paddington.

We needed a black cab as my wife was travelling with our 1 year old son so needed to be able to push the buggy into the cab and travel in that fashion (as she cannot carry a car seat to go in a normal car).

Anyone else know of a reliable way to get a black taxi to come and take you somewhere, or other solutions to this problem.

n.b. train across london almost impossible for one person with buggy and luggage and bus would be extremely tough also...

jumpinjackflash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Addison Lee are VERY good and reliable - you pay a

> little more though.

Most definitely.. I have used these guys and have never had a problem.. Quay Alexander are good but they are more of a chauffeur company than a cab company..

Addison Lee all great.

Their cars are all really nice.

They all have SatNav.

They text you when the cab is en route.

They text you when the cab is waiting outside and give you the registration number.

They arrive on time.

The fares are set on the phone and the drivers don't hassle you for en extra quid because 'they didn't know it was that end of the street' etc etc

It's true they do cost more though. But I get so sick of sitting in crappy minicab drivers and arguing about the fare that it's well worth it.

We had a visitor once who was leaving v early morning and was a bit snooty about our offer of arranging a trusty but rusty local minicab. He phoned for Dial a Cab, and then they never turned up. A booking is more of an opening of negotiations, it seems, than a firm commitment.

Second Addison Lee - they also have some people carrier things with built-in child seats. Not sure if suitable for a one year old but you can always ask.

There's a great black cabbie lives on Underhill Road - John. We use him every time we need to go to Heathrow, and often for other smaller jobs. We also book him when we return from holidays and he meets us at the airport - very handy when you've got small children in tow. He's extremely reliable, and a nice guy. His number is 07956 481 142.

Solves the problem of them not wanting to come out this way when they already live here!

Addison Lee all the way. Especially if you find yourself far from home at 4am and in no mood to "haggle" over the fare. Also the text message means you don't have to spend half-an-hour staring out of the window.

We use dial a cab at work on account. Talk about having cake and eating it. They are regularly late, I would say 30-40% time they don't turn up on time. They often tell us that they can't get a cab in our area on time as well. Amazingly, we aren't based in SE22 but on a square in town with a large column celebrating the battle of Trafalgar, not exactly out in the sticks! Its worth remebering that DAC charge from the moment a cab accepts a job - could be that they are 15 mins drive away, and you pick up the tab for this as well. Oh yeah, don't forget that if they can't get there on time and lets say you not unreasonably find other means of transport and cancel the DAC, if they have a cab who has already accepted the job, you pay anyway! Nice work if you can get it...

I called dialacab from Vauxhall station where there is a sign at the taxi rank. Wanted to pay cash.. they won't come out if you only have cash, you need to book in advance with a credit card. Despite the fact I was 5m pregnant with twins and virtually in tears, they wouldn't send anyone. In the end, having waited for 30 mins and not been able to flag down a cab, I had to call a minicab from ED to come out and get me.

I'll join the throng and big up Addison Lee. If I'm ever lost in the wilds of north London after a bit of a night out they are always there to help.

I had a conversation with a driver once who told me that they have to go through a very rigorous vetting before being taken on.

Personally I don't think they are that much more expensive than any other cab company and any premium is worth it for the service.

I'd love to take one of their taxi-bikes some time!

nutty: Assuming Dial a Cab has a licence from the London Carriage Office, I think you should report them. I don't know if they do have to have such a licence, so it might be worth checking. A little while ago TfL had adverts on the flip-up seats of black cabs for a cab number that single women travelling late at night were recommended to call. I used to have it but lost it when I changed mobile phones. It might be on TfL's site.

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> nutty: Assuming Dial a Cab has a licence from the

> London Carriage Office, I think you should report

> them. I don't know if they do have to have such a

> licence, so it might be worth checking. A little

> while ago TfL had adverts on the flip-up seats of

> black cabs for a cab number that single women

> travelling late at night were recommended to call.

> I used to have it but lost it when I changed

> mobile phones. It might be on TfL's site.

I think it was Zingo (08700 700 700, www.zingotaxi.com). Good idea but, in my experience, poor service. Seldom manage to get a cab from them.