The 124 Lordship Lane eyesore

Dear Owner of the shop front infecting the space between William Rose Butchers and His Lordship Launderette on Lordship Lane - this is an eyesore. At least get rid of the trashed awning.

Southwark Council! - is there anything to be done?

Does anyone know the story behind this prime piece of retail space?

A link:

It's been discussed on the forum a few times. People have posted that an elderly lady lives or lived there, and has done for most of her life and doesn't want to move. There was also a fire which damaged the shop a while back. No idea what the current position is, but it's a bit more complicated than you might think. And involves/involved a real person - so using words like "infecting" seems a bit out of proportion.

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

And

> involves/involved a real person - so using words

> like "infecting" seems a bit out of proportion.

Agreed.

And the borough we live in is Southwark, despite its strange pronunciation :)

I like it personally, the blackness, the fly posters and the awning. Though im my heart i'm torn between this and the chinese chipshop behind the old Police station

Though this prime location you speak of would be ideal for a Pop-Up cup cake store

When the current owner is dead enough, i'm sure you'll get first dibs

"Infecting"!

I completely agree with Siduhe.

As far as I can remember an elderly person lived at that address and has done for many years...it's her home and she's entitled to live how she wants to live after all these year as she's certainly been in the area a lot longer than others.

Live and let live

Seabag Wrote:

> I like it personally, the blackness, the fly

> posters and the awning. Though im my heart i'm

> torn between this and the chinese chipshop behind

> the old Police station

AArrh the old Chinese Chip Shop.. I remember it well.

The bare light bulb in the flat above would indicate someone lives here too.

DulwichFox

Okay everyone - perhaps the word infecting is too harsh. It wasn't meant as a personal dig to the owner. What about the actual issue?

And I take issue with assuming that because the owner is an elderly lady, she is somehow incompetent. This is sexist and ageist. Does she need help? If so, that's an important issue to be address as well.

Ms Blueberry Wrote:

> It's a derelict site which negatively effects

> everything around it and it's not the right thing

> to let a property go to rack and ruin.

If you close one eye it will appear half as bad.

I quite like it. It's a reminder of what quite a few of the shop fronts at this end of Lordship Lane used to be like. You only have to go a little way up the hill to see one or two similar examples.

Anyway, it's really not worth getting excited about, at least nowhere near as excited as Ms Blueberry appears to be. No doubt this 'prime piece of retail space' will eventually hit the commercial property market. After all, it's only gaining in value. And perhaps, who knows, it may even become the long awaited Waitrose, albeit a very little one.

I also suspect the kind of 'help' hinted at may not be what the said elderly lady is looking for or needs. Like many very elderly people, she may just wish to see out her days in her home of many years and in familiar surroundings, without being forced to conform and smarten up their property which could possibly be at great expense beyond their current means.

Ms Blueberry Wrote:

It's not derelict.

It doesn't seem to be negatively affecting anything around it judging by the queues outside William Rose.

Ms Blueberry Wrote:

Perhaps she can't afford to smarten it up-Is it actually causing you any harm looking like that? I think not-there are disused shopfronts like that on most London Local high streets.

I'm fuming that you (who probably wouldn't have pissed on this entire area if it was on fire before the gentrification started) have the audacity to fume on about a shabby shop front when all around families and pensioners are resorting to food banks. I'd rather the shop looked like that than got turned into a smug nappy valley vendor selling S**t that no one really wants " oh look! a mug with Peckham on it! a tea cosy covered in Owls! How lovely" ugh!

Rant over.

NewWave Wrote:

> Ms Blueberry Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's a derelict site which negatively effects

> > everything around it and it's not the right

> thing

> > to let a property go to rack and ruin.

>

>

> Perhaps she can't afford to smarten it up-Is it

> actually causing you any harm looking like that? I

> think not-there are disused shopfronts like that

> on most London Local high streets.

> I'm fuming that you (who probably wouldn't have

> pissed on this entire area if it was on fire

> before the gentrification started) have the

> audacity to fume on about a shabby shop front when

> all around families and pensioners are resorting

> to food banks. I'd rather the shop looked like

> that than got turned into a smug nappy valley

> vendor selling S**t that no one really wants " oh

> look! a mug with Peckham on it! a tea cosy covered

> in Owls! How lovely" ugh!

> Rant over.

That's a bit unfair New Wave.

When it comes to 'a mug with Peckham on it! or a tea cosy covered in Owls!

one of my favourite shops on Lordship Lane is Lush Designs .

After all I got my Foxy Tea Towels and Foxy Mug there.

Foxy.

I've privately been made aware of the situation and it's not as innocent as a nice little old lady exercising her 'live and let live' rights.

It's about another person trying to making as much money as possible at the expense of the community, your community.

However, there's nothing to be done here. So enjoy 124 in its current state while it lasts.