Somerfield...broccoli...you know you shouldn't...

Silly me - popped in for a pint of milk, walked past the broccoli, thought 'ooh just the thing'... steamed it just perfectly, arranged on the plate with the rest of a lovely meal... put my fork through not just the broccoli but the family of maggots living inside. (Well, no longer living - they were at least dead, and perfectly preserved by the steaming process.) Is that their latest twist on BOGOF?

MORAL: Don't be in such haste that you're tempted to buy veg in places you know you shouldn't!

(and yes, I have boycotted it in the past and only go in when I really don't have time to traipse elsewhere, so it really is only my own daft fault for giving in to lazy temptation)

I'd love to sneak round in the night and replace the 'rke' with 'ggo'.

Erm, was it organic?

Back in the day, it was par for the course to have families of greenfly living in the lettuce from the greengrocer - that was before the days of hideous chemicals :))

I think you have put me off broccoli for life, thanks :))

Edited to say: And maggots in the peas - which you had to sit and shell - the peas not the maggots

PS Forgive my ignorance, but what are the strange abbreviations/acronyms at the end of your post??

Were they really maggots or just some kind of little broccoli eating bugs? Just a bit of bad luck really as it could have happened from Sainsburys or NCR green grocer broccoli - especially if it is organic.

I once cut through a red pepper and found a lovely fat juicy caterpillar living inside (luckily didn't cut through him). I sent him off to the park.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> PS Forgive my ignorance, but what are the strange

> abbreviations/acronyms at the end of your post??

Somerfield Market Fresh, take out the 'a r k' and replace with 'g g o' and you get...what was hiding in the greenery.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> You're not being pedantic at all CandJ, I was

> showing my unerring ability to misread a post.

> Boy is my face red(der).

and I just corrected my post for spelling !

Slightly off the point, but my grandmother was in service between the World Wars with a family composed of 2 sisters and a brother. They owned one of those huge mansion flats in the Albany and a shooting lodge in Scotland. The brother would go shooting each season and bring back pheasant. Now of course, as you all know, pheasants have to be hung until they are 'high' before being cooked. So my grandmother would have to pluck the 'high' pheasants, with maggots crawling up her arms ............:'(

Amelie Wrote:

> Slightly off the point, but my grandmother was in

> service between the World Wars with a family

> composed of 2 sisters and a brother. They owned

> one of those huge mansion flats in the Albany and

> a shooting lodge in Scotland. The brother would

> go shooting each season and bring back pheasant.

> Now of course, as you all know, pheasants have to

> be hung until they are 'high' before being cooked.

> So my grandmother would have to pluck the 'high'

> pheasants, with maggots crawling up her arms

> ............:'(

I'm absolutely convinced that should have ended with her shooting the lot of them with their own pheasant-potter. Are you absolutely sure she didn't shoot them and then hang them up in the pantry?

LibraCarr Wrote:

> Hi,

>

> Maggots (humanely killed) are a good source of

> protein!

>

> Bye\\

the Royal Navy lived on them for years - tapping weevils and maggots out ofn their food was so routine they just became used to.