Was the traffic normal this morning to Elephant?

Does anyone know if the hidious traffic this morning to Elephant is normal whilst the road works are underway? Or did I just get very unlucky? I left ED at 7:15am and got to work in the city at 9:30am.

I've hurt my back so went to work today on the 40 because it was the only route I could think of that would guarantee me a seat, but it ended up causing me more pain bc it took so long! I think I would be in less pain if I had cycled in like I normally do (or stood for 20 mins on the Ginger line). I need to make a plan for the rest of the week

It was not normal, because as well as the extra congestion caused by the roadworks for the cycle superhighway, the Met Police and Vosa decided to set up a roadblock as well, which is why is was such a nightmare.

It took me exactly 1h:30m to drive from Dulwich to the City this morning. Normally I would allow 30m and with the roadworks, 45m.

it was not normal I got off and walked by Albany Road. The Roadworks have made it bad for a few weeks now but this morning was far worse (probably becuase of wjhat dv said). I'm even contemplating the train at the moment....unlikley still.

I do Barry Road to Piccadilly on the 12 each day and am leaving earlier than usual in the na?ve hope that I'll get through the Elephant quicker than I would at my normal time. If I get on a bus at 7.15 I'm generally through the Elephant congestion by 8 oclock. Today it was 8.30 so yeah, it was much worse than usual, am praying it's back to relative normality tomorrow. I'm assuming it must be a lot worse for motorists as they don't have the benefit of bus lanes. Coming home through the bottleneck that forms at South Bank University is getting worse as well.

I've been trying to find out if there is any end in sight to the current phase of the works at Elephant as it's so inconvenient and I'm praying it isn't going to be like that until May of next year when the overall project is due to be finished. I've had no luck yet, there seems to be very little information online. Worst thing is that there never seems to be much actual work going on there, usually it'll be one person digging and a few other men watching him do it.

Also tonight there could be traffic on that same route as there will be a "Stop Killing Cyclists" Die-In vigil for Esther Hartsilver who who was killed under a lorry in Denmark Hill last week.

The gathering will see former cyclists laying in the road.

Cyclists will start gathering at 6pm and it will formally start after 6.30pm.

Until recently the 40 bus used to take 35 to 40 mins to the City leaving LL before about 7.15am. Last month has been an hour most mornings and so I've been getting the train or.....walking! There's a great walking route up quiet leafy roads past Rye Lane > Dunton Road> Tower Bridge that takes 1 he 25 mins if you're brisk. It's great when the weather is this nice, less dangerous than cycling and rather energising too.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Until recently the 40 bus used to take 35 to 40

> mins to the City leaving LL before about 7.15am.

> Last month has been an hour most mornings and so

> I've been getting the train or.....walking!

> There's a great walking route up quiet leafy roads

> past Rye Lane > Dunton Road> Tower Bridge that

> takes 1 he 25 mins if you're brisk. It's great

> when the weather is this nice, less dangerous than

> cycling and rather energising too.

I walk to work (London Bridge) two or three times a week depending on the weather. Nice quiet route through Camberwell and Walworth which takes about an hour and ten minutes.

There has been / is ongoing, a huge amount of development around Camberwell Green. Why weren't these sites consolidated and section 106 moneys used (perhaps alongside a bid to Tfl) towards extending the tube, or reinstating the train station on the Thamesilnk line?

rahrahrah Wrote:

> We really need to tube to extend into SE London,

> past Zone 1. Even if it were only to go as far as

> Camberwell, it would make a massive difference.

Agreed 100%

We do, but tube extensions are usually 10-20 years in the making.. don't hold your breath.

Camberwell and Walworth Road stations both seem like they'd well worth reinstating. Whether that's even possible given the changes in safety requirements (platform widths, accessibility) and service patterns since they were shut, I've no idea.

According to LBC radio this morning traffic was taking half an hour to travel along Walworth Road towards the Elephant because of the roadworks. Has this been happening every morning recently? If so, I shall find another way of getting to Covent Garden tomorrow morning.

• 2 weeks later...
I ride to work from ED to Walworth Road Elephant & Castle End - G I have never seen so many busses lined up - Its crazy! All from the Road Works at Elephant and Castle round about!!!! If I were you I would find another route for the foreseeable future - This can't carry on tho, you'd like to think Transport for London would pull their finger out and sort things out. Ok in the long run it may be better at the Elephant but its no joke for all those living and commuting from SE London, its not like we have a decent train service what with the LDN Bridge fiasco and no tube service even touching these parts! COME ON TFL SORT IT OUT and tell your bus drivers to be cautious when letting people of the bus when its not a bus stop as serious accidents WILL happen when a cyclist/motorcycalist is riding the road and a pedestrian just steps off the bus where they shouldn't - not that I have anything against people getting off the bus as I would want to also - Just make sure to keep your eyes peeled! Thanks peeps!

Ladygooner Wrote:

> I took the 40 today from ED station to Elephant

> and was surprised at how clear the roads were.

> Has everyone been scared away. Journey only took

> 25 mins - perhaps I was just lucky today.

Was very quick today. But not typical of recent weeks.