Garden plant thief

My pet hate is those people who feel it's ok to just help themselves ...not talking about hardened criminals who kick doors in & cause misery and mayhem (who I also obviously hate with a vengeance) But people like the person who walked past my garden, saw the pretty little red tree & thought -

"that looks nice, it'll look nicer in my garden, so little old self entitled me will just help myself. they can buy themselves another one, they must be able to afford to buy a new one"

(which I can't after e recent redundancy btw)

Stuff like annoys me because I am grateful when people make their front garden look nice. It means everyone can enjoy it and it adds value to he street. But then there are always selfish d*ckheads that ruin it for everyone else with behaviour like that. :(

Bermygirl - agreed, but then I think about whether the person can either afford to or can physically deal with tending their garden. There are some right shockers (like the one on CPR with the blinds that never open) but who's to say whether the owners of such gardens are unable to do the work or simply just CBA.

Yes Nigello. I would rather have a sparse front area then a mess. However I don't look down on anyone who doesn't adorn their front garden with plants and flowers, it does take time and money. But for those who can't I don't think it takes more than a bit of sweat and perhaps some hedge clippers to keep it at least presentable. I recognise not everyone has the means to have lovely plants and flowers, hence why I appreciate those who do have have the means and take the time to do it. :) I hope the original poster is not put off for good now. :)

Its car boot season ....selling pots empty or filled with plants seem a good sell probably, some friends had a a small bay tree in a pot stolen from right inside their front porch, & they have a a big iron gate and long front garden to get through to have got to it. bit concerned about my boxes and tubs that have been out there for near;y 6 years now :/

It's a growing problem even for us gardeners in the area.

For example, I have had two magnetic signs taken off my vehicle (on separate occasions at different clients houses) which are of absolutely no use to anyone other than me. I have spoken to tree surgeon colleagues who have lost kit and their insured replacements and these are chained and locked away in their vehicle so you need to be vigilant. Even though my tools are insured theft of them is a disaster for the small business e.g. loss of a mower/hedge cutter and I won't tell you how much these are to replace but fairly hefty sums.

I can't offer any simple solutions except plant well, wisely and follow all the normal security procedures e.g. have movement lights, weighted/chained pots/planters etc.

Paul Lupton Garden Services.