ED Picturehouse. Elitest.

I have been longing for a good cinema within safe walking distance in ED, and was delighted to hear that one was coming in the form of East Dulwich Picturehouse. However, I have not been able to go as I just can't justify the cost, approx ?25 for my wife and me! Even membership only saves a couple of pounds. Not to mention the cost of drinks etc.

As with most new things in ED it is aimed at the 'new money' residents and does not take into account us lowly residents of twenty-five years plus, who have contributed to the area and community in that period.

Wholly unfair and saddening that whole sections of our community are excluded.

That does seem really expensive, but people will pay it, so they will charge it. They couldn't give a shit about people that can't pay, so long as they're filling the seats, of which there are about 8, so they're laughing.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That does seem really expensive, but people will

> pay it, so they will charge it. They couldn't give

> a shit about people that can't pay, so long as

> they're filling the seats, of which there are

> about 8, so they're laughing.

?25/2=?12.5x8=?100. They'll be out of business in no time, unless they put their prices up.

For me (in SE22 for 25 years) cinema used to be the sticky noisy experience of PeckhamPlex or a trek to a cinema further afield. Plus in recent years babysitting costs. ED Picturehouse is not only a more pleasant experience (happy to pay a fiver for that) but saves an hour's worth of babysitting which is another wedge. And there aren't the economies of scale of an auditorium that can pack in hundreds of people. So for me it's not a rip off, it's good value. Drinks/snacks? - jeez, who needs those at the cinema?

bonaome Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > That does seem really expensive, but people

> will

> > pay it, so they will charge it. They couldn't

> give

> > a shit about people that can't pay, so long as

> > they're filling the seats, of which there are

> > about 8, so they're laughing.

>

> ?25/2=?12.5x8=?100. They'll be out of business in

> no time, unless they put their prices up.

I wasn't actually being entirely serious when I said they had 8 seats.

Saturday early-evening show at the Odeon in North Greenwich is ?10.90 for an adult ticket vs ?12.60 for the same film at the same time at ED Picturehouse.

Given the convenience of having a cinema on a high street location you can walk to and not have to park vs the out of town retail park I don't agree it is bad value when compared to the wider mass market.

(ps in case I get accused of choosing an expensive one to compare to, the same ticket costs ?11 in Liverpool!)

Could ticket prices perhaps be on a sliding scale, so that those residents with the longest 'years of service' to the community could get cheaper seats?

Or perhaps get the whole place to themselves, with free popcorn, a footrub - and a lightly applauding guard of honour lining the streets when they exit.

Salted popcorn *Bob*, Salted please.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Could ticket prices perhaps be on a sliding scale,

> so that those residents with the longest 'years of

> service' to the community could get cheaper

> seats?

>

> Or perhaps get the whole place to themselves, with

> free popcorn, a footrub - and a lightly applauding

> guard of honour lining the streets when they exit.

I agree that cinema ticket prices are expensive but that's general all over the country. Ticket prices mostly cover studio and distributor costs. The theatres make the majority of their profit on food and drinks sales. This has been the way since at least the late '80s.

In order to compete in this tough market Picturehouse cinemas aim their brand at the middle classes for a slightly more expensive, "better" cinema experience where you can see a mix of mainstream, independent and classic films. That's their shtick. You pay more to get more.

Up until recently I lived in Hackney. When I bought a Picturehouse membership last year it cost about ?45 and for that I got three free tickets plus a ?2 discount on every ticket I buy subsequent to that. On Mondays Picturehouses lower their tickets to ?6 so with my membership discount I was getting to go to a cinema in London once a week for ?4. The cost of three tickets at ?12.50 is approaching ?40 so you've almost made it worthwhile there, and every visit thereafter just makes it more worthwhile. If you don't go to the cinema often then a single visit is going to seem expensive but, as has been mentioned before, it's ?11 to go to the Odeon in Liverpool. Comparatively PH prices aren't too much out of line with the rest of the country.

And this is on the bloomin' high street so you're saving on bus/train/parking/petrol.

AND they're doing a deal at the moment for members where if you buy a bottle of beer you get a free double Jamesons with a mixer. I got myself and a friend half-soused for less than nine quid on Lordship Lane without having to sit at a bus stop with a brown paper bag.

If this is elitist call me Lord Snot.

It's probably worth mentioning that I do not work for Picturehouse Cinemas.

I love the description 'within safe walking distance' - which clearly rules out running the gauntlet to the Wild West that is Peckham Plex, even if it is ?4.99.

.. and yet somehow it's the East Dulwich Picturehouse who's elitist

Hmmm

Well you never know, Bob. A poor person might crime you to death if you are brave or stupid enough to walk down that meanest of mean streets, Rye Lane. Better sticking with the Foxtons fat tie brigade and yummy mummy hot yoga oiks who moan about people sitting in their precious caffe nero for more than half an hour.

I just took the P13 passed the Dulwich Riding School next to the Dulwich Bowls Club opposite Dulwich College in whose grounds schoolboys were dressed in full cricket regalia practising their overhands on a Saturday afternoon. And the Picturehouse is elitist?!

I have lived in East Dulwich since 1989 and Nunhead before that. A friend of mine was stabbed at the top of Rye Lane and a sister-in-law narrowly escaped being bundled into a car. They are just what comes to mind immediately without considering all of the incidents I've heard about in those thirty or so years.

Admittedly both where a while ago, but I really would not want to risk walking with my wife along Rye Lane in the dark just as an experiment to prove that things may have improved. Where would you run to?