Orchard at Dawsons Hill/Dawsons Heights

I work for the Urban Orchard Project, and we are working with local communities to restore and celebrate old orchards in London, through training in fruit tree management and community events. I understand there are some old fruit trees in Dawsons Hill park (I found two last winter anyway!) and there are the pears at Dawsons Heights estate. I have tried contacting the Dawsons Hill Trust but got no response (I'm guessing it is disbanded). If anyone would be interested in this project, or can suggest a local community contact to me, please reply. Thanks, Stephanie

There are 'residual' fruit trees in many back gardens which once formed part of the orchards - these are however now very old and a number have been necessarily removed. My neighbour had a very old (and collapsing) Bramley (old style) and there are a couple of pears which I think have some age and were never planted as intentional garden fruit trees. If you can indicate what you think the girth of the trunks might be for the tree to be part of the original orchards I am sure readers could check to see if they have something which might qualify. I am quite close to Dawson Heights.

Penguin68 - Thanks for your response but our project is looking for orchards that are on publicly accessible land (including parks and housing estates) so not private back gardens.

John K -- thanks for suggesting Melbourne Grove Orchard -- I had a look online but it is a little too young for the orchard restoration project that I am doing.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, I suggest you contact the College Ward Councillors:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

They may know more about the orchard, or who you should contact about it. How is the project to be funded; are you looking for funding? This type of project may be suitable for a cleaner, greener, safer (CGS) funding application.

Renata

It isn't unloved. Just because it hasn't been gentrified or commodified or committeefied doesn't mean people don't use it - they do! I like the fact it's a little bit "wild" (though let's not overstate this - it's not a highland forest) and the wildlife certainly appreciate that fact.

• 1 year later...

Hi -- yes we got the HLF funding to go ahead with the project, and we are working with 10 orchards in London this year. My colleague Ella is hoping to work with Dawsons Hill orchard next year so please drop her an email if you are interested in getting involved and to find out more -- [email protected]

thanks, Stephanie ([email protected])

I like what N wrote.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It isn't unloved. Just because it hasn't been

> gentrified or commodified or committeefied doesn't

> mean people don't use it - they do! I like the

> fact it's a little bit "wild" (though let's not

> overstate this - it's not a highland forest) and

> the wildlife certainly appreciate that fact.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> An interesting new charity 1139952 based in TW10

> 7LG and E8 4YR

>

> The 2014 accounts show the orchard tree per buck

> figure.

>

> Perhaps the charity could start with Melbourne

> Orchard.

>

> John K

> never could spell paarrashewte

Hi All,

I work with Stephanie at The Orchard Project. It sounds like the trees at Dawson's Heights and the green space in general is very much loved. I noticed that some young fruit trees have been planted near the older ones and have also been recently pruned, which is great.

If we can see a need for our support, our aim would be to work with people who live nearby to restore the older fruit trees whilst maintaining and improving the site's biodiversity. We can also identify the apple varieties, create a management plan for the community and the landowner that promotes biodiversity and the trees, run a workshop for local schoolchildren in the area, and help to create events in the orchard such as apple juicing days, minibeast discovery days etc. The main intention of our project is to celebrate what is already happening in green spaces around London with fruit trees, and add capacity to these efforts so more people can get involved.

We are in discussion with the council about whether we may be able to support the orchard at Dawson's Heights and I am keen to meet with any of you face to face, to hear about what the space means to you and how our project may be able to support and improve the space.

Do email me at [email protected] if you would like to meet by the trees for a chat.

Best wishes,

Ella

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

As a follow up to this thread - we were successful in receiving permission from the council to restore the older fruit trees at Dawsons Hill and we have a pruning workshop coming up in a few weeks time. It would be lovely to see you there.

The workshop will be a chance to learn about pruning techniques, and to start to restore the older apples and pears onsite. It will run on Saturday 28th January, 10am-2pm and is free for local residents.

To book your free place, register here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dawsons-hill-fruit-tree-pruning-tickets-40875884872

Best wishes,

Ella