Souvlaki Street - North Cross Road Market

My partner and I recently discovered Souvlaki Street, down on North Cross Road. Run by a lovely couple and serves the best Greek style wraps! Would highly recommend taking a trip down there one Saturday.

We're massive foodies, would love to hear some of your recommendations.

Thanks,

Sarah

Haha how funny.

In fact it's not, is it? Maybe just put yourselves in their shoes for one minute instead of making ridiculous jokes?

As someone with family there I am very concerned about what is happening.

So maybe lets talk about kebabs instead?

I didn't think the joke had anything to do with the ED stall, just had to do with Greeks and the way they deal with debt. And I can tell you people, not necessarily politicians take it very seriously.

Anyway, it is just an odd day for greece and maybe I got a bit over emotional.

Looking forward to sampling the food anyway.

Can you afford it?

peggoula Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I didn't think the joke had anything to do with

> the ED stall, just had to do with Greeks and the

> way they deal with debt. And I can tell you

> people, not necessarily politicians take it very

> seriously.

> Anyway, it is just an odd day for greece and maybe

> I got a bit over emotional.

> Looking forward to sampling the food anyway.

I agree, the wafting aroma from that stall yesterday whooshed me back to a holiday in Paros half a lifetime ago. We went on the Magic Bus so you can guess just how long ago.

Unfortunately I wasn't hungry but I'm going to make sure I'm starving next time and eat two

Sorry, but I completely disagree. The food at Souvlaki Street is about as authentic Greek style souvlaki as chicken tikka masala is in India. On top of that it's overpriced and the portions leave a lot to be desired.

The souvlaki I had from Souvlaki Street wasn't like souvlaki I have had in the past in Crete.

Sadly not nearly as nice, but hey better than nothing I suppose.

I'm back to the Vietnamese van next time I'm having a North Cross Road lunch. As I've never been to Vietnam, luckily I have nothing to compare their delicious food with :))

I don't understand why something has to be 'authentic' to be nice? I didn't say it was authentic - but I do think it is delicious. The only gripe I have is the wait - that's because it is always so busy with other people who seem to like it.

Agree with robbin about authenticity. People often say about curry places "it's nothing like the real stuff you get in India". So what? I'm not in India, I'm in this curry house and I'm enjoying the food.

I enjoy authentic Mexican food. Doesn't mean I can't also enjoy a Tex Mex.

Each to their own Aidan, but if you refuse to eat chicken tikka masala (just about the most popular food in the UK) because it is not 'authentic' Indian, you are going to find yourself being disappointed at most Spanish tapas restaurants, not to mention most Italian, Chinese or Turkish restaurants in the UK. Most I've been to are not 'authentic' but they can still be very tasty.

I agree the prices are not bargain basement, but if you don't want to part with your 5 quid you don't have to. That said, taking account of overheads and ingredients and the fact that these people are trying to make a living, I can't see how they could sell for anything much less than that.

I didn't actually say I refuse to eat chicken tikka masala because its not authentic did I? I also didn't say that the Solulaki wasn't nice. It's only ok, even when you don't compare it to something you've tasted elsewhere or abroad.

Well, in response to the comment "the food at Souvlaki Street is great" you said "I completely disagree" and went on to say it "is about as authentic Greek style souvlaki as chicken tikka masala is in India. On top of that it's overpriced..."

So you sort of implied both (that you don't like non-'authentic' food and that it wasn't nice)?

Anyway, I see you felt strongly enough about the subject to register on the EDF and make that your first ever post - so fair enough.