Blue brick cafe

The best caff for a fry up - I reckon. Very friendly. But - do not go there if you are starving. Surprisingly, for a greasy spoon, they have warmly embraced the concept of 'slow food'. Can take an age for your food to turn up. But they will keep offering you free drinks, toast and the such as compensation. Fantastic place.

nooooooooo....i was hoping no one would mention the blue brick cafe on this forum as now it will be impossible to get a seat in there, and where will i go for the best poached eggs in ED now???

food good

ambiance good

eggs good

service good

bread mmmmm goood

its all good, cant say a bad word. plus it has a small display of art work from local residence adorning its walls...so good food and makes me feel slightly cultrual whislt recovering from a hangover.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> IT was once recommended by James Nesbitt in a

> profile of him in the Evening Standard's FRiday

> supplement - that should help a number of EDF

> "ers" decide not to crowd out the place.

That is so true! There is such anti-JN sentiment in ED that it's a good thing he's moved to HH!

Started going there again when the management/staff changed - before that I'd sit and wait to order - one time it took 20 mins so I left as strangely I had more to do than sit in their cafe.

The lady who runs it is from Wales I think (wait for it ....... "so whats Wales got to do with it why do you have to mention that etc.etc.) is very friendly and chatty, they knock-out good cafe food and takeaway sandwiches/rolls too !

I used to love it there. But it took 55 minutes to be served one day and when I went to the back to ask where the adult meals were I got a mouthful of abuse from the 'new owner' who denied that we'd been waiting almost an hour.

The food is good

The woman was patently tired having cooked 6 meals before ours on the smallest frying pan (fits 3 eggs it seems) in the world.

I won't go back anymore because I was rather offended and extremely embarrassed, despite maintaining my standard politeness. In fact I bumped into the other woman later that afternoon and she couldn't apologise enough.

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to love it there. But it took 55 minutes to

> be served one day and when I went to the back to

> ask where the adult meals were I got a mouthful of

> abuse from the 'new owner' who denied that we'd

> been waiting almost an hour.

>

> The food is good

>

> The woman was patently tired having cooked 6 meals

> before ours on the smallest frying pan (fits 3

> eggs it seems) in the world.

>

> I won't go back anymore because I was rather

> offended and extremely embarrassed, despite

> maintaining my standard politeness. In fact I

> bumped into the other woman later that afternoon

> and she couldn't apologise enough.

Oh, Curmudgeon how often does one meet 'the other woman' who's prepared to apologise? Let alone enough?

I'd never eat anywhere else again.

I'm always torn about the blue brick - great food and atmosphere, but I gotta reckon on possibly hitting it on one of their sloooooooooooow days. Not a place to go if your in a hurry, S'okay if you're happy to hang out and read the papers.

This is no longer a builders caff. It's genrified by virtue of the current 'punters' and I reckon 'we' (and of course by that I mean everyone else in ED (East Dulwich)except me 'cause I rent) should just take it for what it is. It's a place that will take a while to serve you and may be a tiny bit 'homemade' about the whole thing. I think for me that's what I seek in a 'caff' It's 'culturally' a workmans Cafe, and that's OK by me.

How best to stop it becoming more popular? Or do I mean exclusive? Well do I?

I suppose a rumour that teams of tooled-up 'yoof' congregate there might be a start.

I have only had one experience there and it was terrible.

Slow, greasy, tasteless, bad sausages etc etc. Rows in the kitchen.. wrong food delivered etc etc.

I will give it another bash, but really, Franklins has the best breakfast in my opinion. The quality of the ingredients is superb.

• 1 month later...
blue brick cafe always looks lovely, but I went there on sunday when it was about half-empty/half-full, waited to be served, noticed everyone else was waiting for drinks or remainder of their food orders, read the paper, finished the paper, checked I had indeed sat there for over half an hour without being acknowledged, and left. it's a shame, because it looks like a cute cafe, but what you really want from a cafe is food and drink...