Half marathon route in East Dulwich

This area isn't great for running. I normally drive to Richmond and do the Park and Wimbledon Common which is about 14 miles. Round here I would go up to Dulwich Park for a circuit or two, along College road and up Sydenham hill to Crystal Palace park and then back again. Not 13 miles but with a few detours you could probably get a decent run.

am training at mo myself for marathon in october. The run i do is a loop but it's quite good as each loop is 6.5 miles . starting from goose green, then east dulwich grove, dulwich village, up college road to the top of the sydenham hill, then run down sydenham hill towards the horniman , along wood vale then down to peckham rye. its a bit better than doing loops of dulwich park but again thats good because its a 1 mile loop. hope that helps

Have you considered joining one of the local running clubs? I was a member of Dulwich Park Runners when I was training for the marathon - between all the members they had loads of great routes, ranging from short runs right up to my final 22 mile training run before the race. I used to do my weekly long run with other club members which was great fun, and easier than going it alone (I did an 18 miler alone and almost lost the will to live!).

It's been a few years since I trained properly, so unfortunately my memory of the good longer routes has gone! But I'm sure there are other runners on this forum that will have some good ones for you.

if you go onto walkjogrun you can put in the postcode of ED (SE22 ***) and ask to search for routes that have been saved by other runners in the area. There are hundreds ranging from a quick jog round the park to a marathon route that someone has run and thought it enjoyable enough to put it on the web.

Thanks everyone, great advice. I am thinking of joining the Dulwich running club.I'm awaiting confirmation of next year's London Marathon. I reckon I may have a chance because I sent off online next day and I've never run it before. We shall see. In the meantime I have been running a lot so that If I do get a space I will have a good core fitness when I start the gruelling training. I like the sound of the half marathon starting in Goose Green. I'm not sure I can handle running around Dulwich park again again.

You have about a 10% chance of getting in through the Ballot. Thought about going down the Golden Bond charitable fundraising route? You'll get a place if you can convince member charities you'll raise circa ?1500. I can recommend a few if you're interested.

I can recommend a few laps around Dulwich Park then jog over to Brockwell Park and do a few laps there and then back again - you could even take a dip in the Lido while you're at it!

I think if you run around the edge of Brockwell Park it's 3km.

Same route as DavidM said up College Road apart from adding on the perimeter of Crystal Palace which brings you back to Sydenahm Hill. Myself and my running partner go from near the top of Barry Road and its 7 miles there abouts. Some good hills as well.

The running in ED area is actually very good by London standards - Richmond Park excepted - as you have loads of parks separated by quiet surburban roads. Try the nunhead cemetery/peckham rye/dulwich park loop (come down friern road its v quiet) as suggested but then add in brockwell via belair park and/or sydenham hill wood - you easily get half marathon length without having to do repeat loops anywhere and around 2/3 is in the parks. I also go out east sometimes via nunhead and nice roads in Brockley/St Johns to Blackheath and Greenwich park or through hilly fields/ladywell fields (down the ravensbourne to catford) and blythe hill - v quiet and great views. And if you are really keen add in one tree hill and Horniman gardens!

I 'm training for a half marathon and find this area not too bad for running. I put a few routes on that walkjogrun - if you look at the little icons at the corner of lordship L and blackwater those are mine. My standard sunday route basically links peckham rye, dulwich park, dulwich/sydenham wood and brockwell park coming out to around 17 km. I'm also fond of churning out mile intervals around dulwich park, though one of these days I'm going to get creamed by a pram or a kamikazee kid on those rent-a-bikes.

I too am entered in the London marathon ballot, but my plan now is to enter Paris (which is a week later) and defer London until the year after on the odd chance I'm a winner. I've heard that as long as you sign up within the first few days (sept. 15) you're guaranteed to get in to Paris. As an added bonus rumour has it that old men hand out wine in the last few miles.