Roadworks in Lordship Lane at end of North Cross Road

Sue

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, but I can't see one.

Does anybody know how long these roadworks (or whatever they are) are going to take? There never seems to be anybody working there.

The bus stop has been out of use for weeks, which must be difficult if you have a disability affecting your mobility, as you have to walk to the previous or next stop.

Also it's an absolute nightmare trying to turn left into Lordship Lane from North Cross Road if there is a lot of traffic. The lights which allow traffic only one way are right at the end of the road, and you basically hold up the whole traffic stream going towards the library when you try to turn after the lights go green.

But if there's a lot of traffic you might never get out at all if you wait :(

The reason for this, and I loosely quote our Councillor, is to make that area a better experience for pedestrians. The other unstated reason seems that it is one small piece in a larger reworking of ED highways, roads and paths, designed to increase cycling, reduce parking and reduce car ownership/use. Therefore you have the deeply unpopular Townley redesign, attempts to make Melbourne a closed street and creation of restricted parking in places where there was none.

It has been noted that the timing of this attempt to radically change our lives has fallen at a similar time that at least two and possibly 3 major building projects( the two new schools and M&S) are soon to start, and which will probably create even more obstruction and chaos, since we know how little oversight there is of developers and builders in the borough.

I walked right past Townley on Friday at around 11am expecting to see workmen scurrying around, but no, a few ambled aimlessly while another hovered around a stationary small digger, no work going on. I see the boards state no expectation of completion before end of month.

It all feels rather perverse and the only person who seems the least bit concerned is an ex councillor, our current rep seems to withdrawn from discussion.

As I mentioned above ' green plastic piping '.. This evidently is used for Sewage & Drain Lines..

So would seem to be essential works.

FYI.

http://www.cornerstoneprojects.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Underground-Utility-Colour-Codes-Diagram.jpg

DulwichFox

DF, green piping has also been newly laid at Townley, at some point since the works there began. i was told by a guy on site that this is a necessary part if changing the whole junction, so presumably the same applies to Nx. If it is solely about renewing sewage and drainage pipes, then I stand corrected.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DF, green piping has also been newly laid at

> Townley, at some point since the works there

> began. i was told by a guy on site that this is a

> necessary part if changing the whole junction, so

> presumably the same applies to Nx. If it is solely

> about renewing sewage and drainage pipes, then I

> stand corrected.

How are they "changing the whole junction", first mate?

Have I missed something?

I don't recall seeing anything anywhere about this junction being changed?

ETA: Anyway, whatever they are doing I wish they'd hurry up with it :)

Thanks, that's very enlightening!

"Start date 22 June - end date 7 August."

Footway resurfacing supposedly finishes today, then there is two nights of some other resurfacing, carried out by - er - "surfacing". For "Two nights under 1 way LED lights phase".

So HOW ON EARTH can it take them seven (?) WEEKS to do that?

It's already one way. There is massive disruption to pedestrians and traffic.

Why can't they co-ordinate their works so that areas aren't left half finished for weeks at a time with nobody working on them? Surely that's a pretty basic management skill???

Hi Sue,

From S'warks website, though see other threads where more recent info on changes is cited by Woodwarde

What are the proposed changes?

? Removal of existing staggered pedestrian crossings with the implementation of shorter, single movement facilities.

? Introduction of a diagonal pedestrian crossing to link footways adjacent to both schools and cater for an existing pedestrian desire line.

? All pedestrian facilities to operate at the same time to reduce waiting time for pedestrians and improve the efficiency of the junction.

? Cycle pre-signal on Townley Road and Green Dale to allow cycles to enter the junction and undertake turning movements before general traffic.

? New signalised cycle gates on both Townley Road and Green Dale where cyclists are held on a red signal whilst general traffic movements operate. This removes the risk of both left hook and right hook collisions. (Please note that more confident cyclists will still be allowed to use the general traffic lane to traverse the junction from either Townley Road or Green Dale).

? Semi-segregated cycle lane and advanced cycle waiting area on East Dulwich Grove (westbound) to allow cyclists to bypass waiting vehicles and gain priority at the junction.

? Footway buildouts to reduce crossing distances for pedestrians and to visually improve the streetscape.

? New two stage right turn facilities for cyclists to assist right turning movements into either Townley Road or Green Dale from East Dulwich Grove.

? A semi-segregated cycle lane is proposed on Townley Road to allow cyclists to safely pass queuing traffic and access the cycle facilities at the junction.

? A new segregated cycle lane is proposed linking Calton Avenue with Townley Road to allow cyclists to bypass the Calton Avenue / Townley Road junction.

? All existing turning movements at the junction are retained, including for coaches.

? There will be a slight loss of capacity over the existing layout but the junction will continue to operate within acceptable levels of saturation.

ed-pete,

Yes I know, I was actually making a wider point about all the various roadworks and mooted road changes in the area, of which Nx road is one and Townley another.I was also pointing out, in response to Foxy, that Townley, is having sewage pipes relaid as part of larger scale works, inferring that laying of similar piping at Nx does not mean sewage is the primary reason for the works...convoluted, I know.

I cited the above as I thought Sue had queried changes being made to Townley, but rereading I now see she thought I was talking about changes to Nx. No matter, it is my understanding that Nx pavements onto LL are being built out- the pavement will be considerably wider and the rationale for this was to make it a 'nicer' experience for pedestrians. I also recall talk of bike racks being put there but don't know if that is still on.

However, you are right, I have taken the thread off track, so will now shutup!

edhistory Wrote:

> I thought these were the roadworks.

>

> John K

I don't think there are currently any outside the Palmerston.

The traffic light at the start of them is on the corner of NX Road, outside Londis.

They seem to be the ones described in ed_pete's map above.

Still, once it is done pedestrians will have a 'nicer' experience, so has to be worth it.

I quote JB from an earlier thread last year

" The NXR/LL has a number of pedestrian movements but primarily these works are to make this junction more pleasant and a better experience."

first mate Wrote:

> Still, once it is done pedestrians will have a

> 'nicer' experience, so has to be worth it.

>

> I quote JB from an earlier thread last year

>

> " The NXR/LL has a number of pedestrian movements

> but primarily these works are to make this

> junction more pleasant and a better experience."

But according to the plan above, all that is being done is "resurfacing".

Do you have a link to the other thread you mention?